Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Religious Studies

As some of you may know, I have been going through a religious exploration - in an attempt to really figure out which faith, if any, is right for me. In this pursuit, I have looked to learn more about Buddhism (and its various sects) and Christianity (both fundamental, and to an extent, Jehovah's Witnesses).

Overall, I have found the experience to be very interesting, and have learned quite a bit. I have my own opinions about a lot of it, but I don't really want to blog about that because ... I just feel that could lead to a very long religious discussion that I'm not prepared to have with the blogging world, at large. However, I am still "investigating" or "exploring", as the Christians seem to like to call it, as I have not firmly settled on a religion - for various reasons.

I also take a class at the Christian church that I attend. The classes are ok. Most of them do not really teach me things I don't already know, or instinctively glean from the material already covered, but every now and again, I go to a class that just frames a concept really well, and I like it. I also really like the small group discussions after. Mostly because the people in my group are really fun and laid back.

Well some of the members of my small group, seem pretty darn annoyed that I haven't settled on Christianity yet. This culminated in an hour long discussion last weekend as they tried to assail me and convince me that Christianity was the way to go. However, our limited discussion revealed to me that there was an awful lot about their own religion - and others' - that they just really did not seem to have a clue about. (I think one person was convinced that I was a former Buddhist because I seemed to know things about that religion.) They may be able to quote scripture much better than I, but I seem to know more about the religions origins and other doctrines surrounding it. (I think I may have caused at least one person in my group to have a small crisis of faith, but that was not my intention. I didn't even bring up the subject.)

Well, it was a spirited small group discussion, let me tell you, and I left very frustrated. So I went and read another book on religion - The Case for Christ by Lee Strobel. Then I read a couple of response pieces to that - The Case Against 'The Case For Christ', Review of Lee Strobel THE CASE FOR CHRIST, and a third that I can't recall now. After doing all of this, I had a very familiar feeling creep over me - "I can't get out of the religion spin zone. Everyone writing seems convinced that I should believe their respective point of view."

I needed more independent sources and no one seemed to be able to offer me any. Everyone I spoke to wanted me to read another evangelist's book. This was getting me no where. I needed something more fair and balanced. Something that had the potential of being more based in fact, and more of an attempt of telling me - "This is what we know. This is what we don't know. Now make your decision." So I prayed (or meditated or somethinged) about it. (I would just say "prayed" but that's a whole other can of worms I don't want to get into here.) This is what I do.

I was struck by inspiration the next day as I stepped out of the shower. (This is actually fairly common - some of my most ingenious thoughts occur around my shower. I don't know why. They just do.) I had taken a class with one of the top two ancient history professors in the world when I was in college. He was absolutely fantastic, and he had a significant religious studies background, as he had written many things about it, including a Bible Dictionary. I could go to him with my questions and he could help guide me to some further texts. As such, I contacted him and two other professors that seemed to have similar backgrounds, and they responded with both information and some great recommendations. I'm very happy.

10 comments:

  1. Okay you are looking for information on various religions and you want information based in fact? Sounds like an oxymoron to me but good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My muse always seems to visit me when I'm taking a leak. I think it's because the bathroom is the one remaining place in the world where I'm not inundated with distractions.

    I'll be upfront and tell you I'm a Christian. Not a very good one, but that's not really for other Christian's to judge. I've been known to tell other Christians to go F*** themselves. (I only censor myself because I don't know what you or your readers will tolerate in the way of profanity).

    Obviously, Croaker (above) and I will be in disagreement about all of this. I'm cool with that.

    I think it's awesome you've contacted these professors. It seems that you have some very good questions. I hope they have answers that inspire more questions.

    I hate to sound "new age" and crap, but it's all a journey. Life...Faith...everything. And you never really arrive. Those that think they've "arrived" in Christianity (or any other religion, for that matter) are probably in need of a swift kick in the ass.

    So, keep walking. If God "calls" you now, great. If not, maybe he'll call later. Maybe not. But you still gotta keep walking.

    Oh, one more thing. These people in your small group, though well intentioned, need to get a grip. "Witnessing" is quite different from "Harassing".

    Sorry so long winded.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Up close and personal Jehovah's Witnesses can be wolves in sheep's clothing.

    Think about this-When the devil comes knocking on your door he may not have the 'dark goth look'.They could be smartly dressed and wielding the Christian Bible.

    I have Jehovah's Witnesses family in the usa who practice the Watchtower JW enforced ritual shunning that i have not seen or heard from in 15 years.

    The central CORE dogma of the Watchtower is Jesus second coming (invisibly) in 1914 and is a lie.Jehovah's Witnesses are a spin-off of the man made Millerite movement of 1840.

    A destructive cult of false teachings, that frequently result in spiritual and psychological abuse, as well as needless deaths (bogus blood transfusion ban).

    Yes,you can 'check out anytime you want but you can never leave',because they can and will hold your family hostage.

    The world has the Internet now,and there are tens of thousands of pages up from disgruntled ex-Jehovah's Witnesses like myself who have been abused by the Watchtower cult.

    Jehovah's Witnesses are often a mouth that prays a hand that kills.The Watchtower is a truly Orwellian world.
    ----
    Danny Haszard former Jehovah's Witness X 33 years and 3rd generation www.dannyhaszard.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Croaker ~ I think there are certain things that historians, archeologists, and anthropologists might be able to say we know about back then - even if that happens to be that "we don't know".

    J ~ Yeah, I would imagine it is a spiritual journey. The thing I respect the most about Buddhists thus far is that they don't appear to be very judging of what other people practice - as they view all of life as a journey and a process, but maybe there's a darker side to them.

    Danny ~ Wow. I really didn't think my mere mention of a particular branch of Christianity would promote such violent emotions. I have to say, though, that a couple of my closest friends are Jehovah's Witnesses and while we not agree on everything, they've always been respectful of my beliefs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what books did your professors recommend? i thought you would at least give us the titles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Saja ~ I did consider doing that, but decided against it as I fear I will just get more comments from people regarding those texts and I want to read them first without anyone else's opinion or input.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear J
    I'll be praying for you on your quest. The one thing I learn , the older I get, is that being Christian is not as hard as we most times make it. We can over think it, try to have it through our own deeds. But there's only one thing Christ asks of us ~ believe. Once we truely do this & let God be God & not try to define Him by our narrow understanding, everything falls into place. May God give you peace, wisdom, discernment this Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. MMmmm... the history with this subject. I hope you find God. He isn't always in the same place for everyone. But I assure you J, he is there.

    Oh yes, and showering does have an amazing affect on one's mind! I particularly like the part of it when water is bouncing off the tiles and my voice sounds like a cross between Norah Jones and Whitney Housten.

    Happy Easter! Remember, in special light of the subject at hand, that this holiday has absolutely nothing to do with chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous ~ Thank you. I hope you had a Happy Easter too.

    Buffy ~ I'm not sure what that means, exactly, but thank you(?).

    Janet ~ To be clear, and I know many Christians will have significant trouble with the following statement, I have no trouble believing in God. I have trouble believing in Christ. But thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Google
WWW Search this site