"I thought you had given up dating."
"Well I figured I already had one, why not three?"
Clearly she couldn't argue with my logic. Mostly because it was so profoundly lacking.
This past weekend was absolutely full, with art festivals and an assortment of dates. I also finished the first phase of my Christian faith classes. It's not as exciting as it sounds - they do not even provide certificates anymore. However, I do feel proud to the extent that I stuck to my commitment of eight weeks. I thought everyone would, but from my experience, few people finish all the classes, and if they do, it often isn't within the eight week time frame. I've always been that way, though. I don't break commitments. Perhaps that was part of the reason that I was often so afraid of making them. Nah, it was probably something deeper than that, like being abandoned by my father and my mother, repeatedly, or fear of the possibility of recreating the unhealthy family unit that is mine.
Years later, I have learned that one is not doomed to repeat the mistakes of one's family. However, they might have to learn new coping mechanisms to make it through. I have also learned that I never really walk away from anything to which I'm committed, and that it doesn't have to be scary to be committed. It actually can be immensely comforting. However, I'll admit, that first step was scary as hell.
The dates were interesting, as two of them lasted several hours longer than I had ever anticipated. One of the women has amazing friend potential, which may or may not lead to more, and the other one attends the church that I've been going to for the aforementioned classes. The length of the first date, however, greatly limited my time for the art festival, but it was definitely worth it.
Sunday was reserved for church and making preparations for my impending trip. My small Christian studies group made another unsuccessful attempt to convert me. I imagine it is probably difficult for them, as they care about me as their friend and - being that they are believers in Christ - feel that if I don't accept Christ as my personal savior, I'm going to burn in hell for all eternity. I wouldn't want to have to think that was going to happen to one of my friends either.
"Well I figured I already had one, why not three?"
Clearly she couldn't argue with my logic. Mostly because it was so profoundly lacking.
This past weekend was absolutely full, with art festivals and an assortment of dates. I also finished the first phase of my Christian faith classes. It's not as exciting as it sounds - they do not even provide certificates anymore. However, I do feel proud to the extent that I stuck to my commitment of eight weeks. I thought everyone would, but from my experience, few people finish all the classes, and if they do, it often isn't within the eight week time frame. I've always been that way, though. I don't break commitments. Perhaps that was part of the reason that I was often so afraid of making them. Nah, it was probably something deeper than that, like being abandoned by my father and my mother, repeatedly, or fear of the possibility of recreating the unhealthy family unit that is mine.
Years later, I have learned that one is not doomed to repeat the mistakes of one's family. However, they might have to learn new coping mechanisms to make it through. I have also learned that I never really walk away from anything to which I'm committed, and that it doesn't have to be scary to be committed. It actually can be immensely comforting. However, I'll admit, that first step was scary as hell.
The dates were interesting, as two of them lasted several hours longer than I had ever anticipated. One of the women has amazing friend potential, which may or may not lead to more, and the other one attends the church that I've been going to for the aforementioned classes. The length of the first date, however, greatly limited my time for the art festival, but it was definitely worth it.
Sunday was reserved for church and making preparations for my impending trip. My small Christian studies group made another unsuccessful attempt to convert me. I imagine it is probably difficult for them, as they care about me as their friend and - being that they are believers in Christ - feel that if I don't accept Christ as my personal savior, I'm going to burn in hell for all eternity. I wouldn't want to have to think that was going to happen to one of my friends either.
i meant to comment earlier on this one. How's your mom?
ReplyDeleteSass ~ She is well.
ReplyDelete