On Friday night, when I went to see David Sedaris, he recommended that everyone read another author, Jean Thompson, who wrote Why Do You Love: Stories. He finds her work particularly inspirational when he can't seem to find the energy in him to write. Unfortunately, the bookstore I browsed the next day, didn't contain her book so I was left to forage for others.
David was absolutely hilarious. He only read one story that I had heard before. It concerns a squirrel and a chipmunk, and you can listen to it for free at This American Life. It's a really sweet story about a woman that breaks up with her lover out of a belief that they are truly from two far too different worlds. Only to realize years down the road that she left the love of her life over a misperception.
The remainder of the show was completely new and fresh for me and his question and answer period was amazing. I must admit that I was rather distracted for most of the show by things happening in my life, but even with the distraction, I found it to be incredibly enjoyable. I recommend that anyone that has the opportunity to see him, capitalizes on that opportunity. I doubt that you will be disappointed.
David was absolutely hilarious. He only read one story that I had heard before. It concerns a squirrel and a chipmunk, and you can listen to it for free at This American Life. It's a really sweet story about a woman that breaks up with her lover out of a belief that they are truly from two far too different worlds. Only to realize years down the road that she left the love of her life over a misperception.
The remainder of the show was completely new and fresh for me and his question and answer period was amazing. I must admit that I was rather distracted for most of the show by things happening in my life, but even with the distraction, I found it to be incredibly enjoyable. I recommend that anyone that has the opportunity to see him, capitalizes on that opportunity. I doubt that you will be disappointed.
Danny Crane
ReplyDeleteI LOVE David Sedaris. He is a brilliant writer and a comic genius. I would love to see him in person -- lucky you!!
ReplyDeleteAmber echoed my thoughts exactly! He has also put together a great compilation of short stories by authors who have influenced him or he just enjoys their work in general. It's called "Children Playing Before a Statue of Hercules".
ReplyDelete