I can't dance. No I am not about to breakout into song about it or anything like that. I merely stating a fact. The funny part is I can spontaneously improve, and not simply through the consumption of alcohol either. My ex-girlfriend could dance. She had danced almost her entire life, and was, as you may have guessed, really good at it. She, on occassion, would work on teaching me. The lessons were never very consistent, but she noticed that I would just suddenly improve. There really was no reason for the sudden improvement. It just sort of happened. I'm like that with many things though, including basketball. I get into zones where I'm just on fire, but I have no idea how or why. Suddenly, it's all so simple and clear and easy.
My friends are going through some tough romantic times. One of my friends fell for a guy in another state - actually in another geographic reagion of the U.S. When you live in Florida, it's hard to date a guy that doesn't live in the same state, unless you are on the border or something. Florida is nothing if not large. When I was growing up, I used to think driving a couple of hours to Boston was a long drive. In Florida, many people will drive that just to get to work everyday, and the weekends? Forget about it. In any event, I'm not sure it's a good idea to fall for someone that doesn't live in the same state as you, unless you own a private jet, or she is Salma Hayek. It's terrible to watch. She just doesn't seem to have luck with guys. It's weird too because she's gorgeous, smart, funny, and all the rest, but she always seems to fall for these emotionally unavailable men. Terrible.
Another friend of mine just found out her husband has been having an affair. Good times. My ex-girlfriend has a cousin who is married. One night all four of us were out, and I got caught checking out the half naked waitress. I felt terrible about it. It was always a weird feeling for me to check out another girl while I was dating one. I always felt terribly guilty about it, mostly because I would worry if I didn't care about my girlfriend enough if I was checking out another one, and because she was super jealous and I didn't want to hurt her feelings. In any evemt, I got caught, and the cousin told me her husband would never do that as he thought she was the prettiest girl in the world. I started laughing so hard. It was hard not to, knowing that he had cheated on her a few times, at least.
I have friends that are engaged or are getting married and I know at least on of the partners has, unbeknownst to the other, cheated. It's a terrible situation. Then they offer me advice on my romantic life. Good times.
I feel like everyone has their comfort zones, and they get used to doing certain things and often find it too difficult to change. Some people date men who live far away. I have one friend who has been dating the same guy since undergrad. They've been together for about 10 years now, but they have rarely lived near each other. Her boyfriend currently lives in an entirely different country. Some people date - hopping from one romance to another. Some people don't date, or at least rarely do so. I think we hit comfort zones, and don't always know what to do outside of those zones, nor why we enjoy the zones so much, or what keeps them in these zones.
We are often complete contradictions, wanting family, money, career, and lots of time to do everything else. We want a dichotomy of things from our lives and others. Wanting "a lady in the street, but a freak in the bedroom" or a woman "with good looks, who cooks and cleans". Some people want the smoldering eyes, unattainable man or woman to suddenly change and convert for them, or as Stephanie would say, they want to convert funnel cake into celery.
I don't think enough people take the time to really think about the zones they are in, or to take any steps to figure out why they are there.
My friends are going through some tough romantic times. One of my friends fell for a guy in another state - actually in another geographic reagion of the U.S. When you live in Florida, it's hard to date a guy that doesn't live in the same state, unless you are on the border or something. Florida is nothing if not large. When I was growing up, I used to think driving a couple of hours to Boston was a long drive. In Florida, many people will drive that just to get to work everyday, and the weekends? Forget about it. In any event, I'm not sure it's a good idea to fall for someone that doesn't live in the same state as you, unless you own a private jet, or she is Salma Hayek. It's terrible to watch. She just doesn't seem to have luck with guys. It's weird too because she's gorgeous, smart, funny, and all the rest, but she always seems to fall for these emotionally unavailable men. Terrible.
Another friend of mine just found out her husband has been having an affair. Good times. My ex-girlfriend has a cousin who is married. One night all four of us were out, and I got caught checking out the half naked waitress. I felt terrible about it. It was always a weird feeling for me to check out another girl while I was dating one. I always felt terribly guilty about it, mostly because I would worry if I didn't care about my girlfriend enough if I was checking out another one, and because she was super jealous and I didn't want to hurt her feelings. In any evemt, I got caught, and the cousin told me her husband would never do that as he thought she was the prettiest girl in the world. I started laughing so hard. It was hard not to, knowing that he had cheated on her a few times, at least.
I have friends that are engaged or are getting married and I know at least on of the partners has, unbeknownst to the other, cheated. It's a terrible situation. Then they offer me advice on my romantic life. Good times.
I feel like everyone has their comfort zones, and they get used to doing certain things and often find it too difficult to change. Some people date men who live far away. I have one friend who has been dating the same guy since undergrad. They've been together for about 10 years now, but they have rarely lived near each other. Her boyfriend currently lives in an entirely different country. Some people date - hopping from one romance to another. Some people don't date, or at least rarely do so. I think we hit comfort zones, and don't always know what to do outside of those zones, nor why we enjoy the zones so much, or what keeps them in these zones.
We are often complete contradictions, wanting family, money, career, and lots of time to do everything else. We want a dichotomy of things from our lives and others. Wanting "a lady in the street, but a freak in the bedroom" or a woman "with good looks, who cooks and cleans". Some people want the smoldering eyes, unattainable man or woman to suddenly change and convert for them, or as Stephanie would say, they want to convert funnel cake into celery.
I don't think enough people take the time to really think about the zones they are in, or to take any steps to figure out why they are there.
You can learn to dance. It is possible. You just have to practice. I really think this would be something to help you get out there and meet people. Take a salsa class. Seriously.
ReplyDeleteUggggggghhhhh so much drama in the LBC. :) Relationships are always a keen source of stories to be shared. My best friend's brother is going to get a divorce because he just found out that his wife has been cheating. Whatever happened to monogomy?
Ahh, the inevitable comfort zone. I know this one well. My last boyf of five years--a definate comfort zone. We had so many problems and just stayed together-First because we loved eachother and wanted to work on it--Then because we hit that definate zone that just kept us together because it's what we knew.
I don't think there's any getting around the contradictions. People will always be this way. For me I just want someone who finds me irresistable, makes me laugh, can teach me things, loves me unconditionally, is honest, and can have a good time with.
Is that too much to ask? :)
What's the "LBC"?
ReplyDeleteIt's from a Sublime song I think--Maybe Long Beach California?? Why did you have to ask that? Grrrr.
ReplyDeleteI don't practice a religion, I ain't got no crystal ball. If I had a million dollars well, I'd spend it all. What I really wanna know - - my baby.
ReplyDeleteAhhhh - kiki - why did you get them stuck in my head? Thanks.
Dancing. . . some are just born with rhythm or you develp it. When you lose your groove, like you and basketball, or Stella getting her groove back it will reappear in that particular time and space, with no explanation. It's all about timing in love and orgasms. Man do i have a one track mind today or what?
I have definately been in the comfort zone in previous relationships which just leads to torment, wasted time, passionately sex, and in the end, you hope you still have a good friend.
Cheating... there's NO excuse.
She makes a good point about the "sensible choice" that's my right kind of wrong. We always know the suave good looking guy who can talk his way out of . . . gee I don't know Houdini's trap is homina homina . . . then we end up with our heart broken
Totally surprised every time.
But Sass, is that cycle, in itself, a zone?
ReplyDeletethat was supposed to be passionateless not passionately. It is a zone and a cycle. So what do we do? Keep searching with in our own comfort level and hope the pieces of the jig saw fit together? "I don't think enough people really take the time to think about the zones they are in" Your right, knowing one needs to change and changing are two entirely different levels of energy. We get lazy, and want a home cooked meal at the end of the day. It's not until we are forced to cook for ourselves that we realize, I am a darn good cook. Ideally, we then develop new cravings and desires and crave our own homecooking, or whatever that may be, it takes time. Just as it takes time for relationships to heal. It's true ignorance can be bliss. But 33 flavors and then some...
ReplyDeleteKnowing what not to expect outside of the zone is half the fun -
There's not enough self help books to go around on this topic (sheesh)
But "zones" are inevitable and it just is a blind area while your driving. You never see the zone until you're going to do something about it or until after it's too late.
ReplyDeleteAt least I think so.
But if you take the time to look at something, and really try to be introspective and think about where you are at and what you are doing, or what you do, doesn't that aleviate at least some of the blindness. I mean, you look over your left shoulder before you switch to the left lane. Should you really only focus on the symptoms, or focus on the cause?
ReplyDeleteYour right the X + y give you the answer it's the symptoms + the cause = the zone/cycle
ReplyDeleteWow. I'm really impressed at the comments and the thoughts thus far to this post.
ReplyDeleteHello "J". You may be surprised to see me here, but I have been in the habit of reading your blog from time to time. Until now, I have not commented, but what you said about my husband and me urges me to set the record straight.
ReplyDeleteTo everyone else, Nice to Meet You, I'm Cali---"J"'s ex's cousin, the one mentioned in the post's third paragraph. The cousin whose husband has supposedly cheated on her.
"J", I understand that you were using my marriage as an example to further your post's point, but you are completely wrong about my husband's infidelity and I feel the need to clear this up. He has never cheated on me. We have had a few rough times in the past---what relationship hasn't---but even during those times, he has never cheated on me. You may be thinking to yourself that I must be incredibly naive to be believing that, but let me remind you that you know nothing about me or my husband or my marriage. You and I knew each other briefly and spent only a handful of time together, and yet you have all this inside information about my marriage? You may have taken second-hand comments or even come to your own conclusion about what you think may have gone on, but I can assure you that my husband has never strayed.
And whether or not he did, truly it's none of your business, and certainly none of anyone's business but mine and my husband's. You must know I'm a very private person and I don't like my personal life written about for anyone to read. Yes, I know this is YOUR blog, as you've cheerfully told other commenters in the past, but this is MY life and I would rather it not be a topic of discussion.
I understand that you and my cousin are no longer together, but please do me the courtesy of not discussing my marriage on your blog again. Thank you and best of luck to you.
Cali,
ReplyDeleteThanks for your comment. I'm glad you "set the record staright".
I appreciate that you are mad, as I would be if someone falsly accused someone I love of doing something that I didn't think they had done. However, as you said, I only met you a few times, and I can only go on what I am told. I believed what I wrote to be true. I didn't make it up to be hurtful or mean. I also didn't know you even read my blog.
I have no idea if you are a private person - again, I only met you a few times. Further, I honestly don't see how I invaded your privacy. No one knows who my ex is, no one knows who you are. There really was no reason for you to set the record straight as no one even knows who you are. Hell, they didn't even know your name until you told it to them.
While I appreciate your comment, I'm not going to fight with you on this. I will write whatever the hell I want the way I want to write it.
Whoa, ummmm...
ReplyDeleteI was going to write something but now I forget what it was.
I'll just stay out of Cali & J's discussion.
I think what I was going to say was something like this....
"Zones" = patterns of behaivor that we are used to and fail to correct due to the familiarity we have with them and the way of life they lead us to live.
Even if one part of the couple recognizes this pattern and knows that there has to be something done to fix the problem (which is hard enough for one person to fix and get out of), you then have to rely on the other to also fix their patterns.
Usually in my experience even if this outcome of both fixing the problem--it never seems to last. One will fall back into the "zone" and then the other does because of the other.
I don't know how to fix that.
That last post was sortof rambling, but I was thrown off. Sorry.
ReplyDeleteI was too. No worries.
ReplyDeleteThere's simply no way around writing this comment.
ReplyDeleteI am going to write this one last time, I write these posts the same way I would write an email to a bunch of my friends. I omit names, however, as I don't want anyone to be dragged into my forum without their consent. I know that even if I included names, no one would really know who the hell these people are, but I just omit them anyway. I wouldn't even reply to questions/comments about my relationship when they were posted, as I knew my girlfriend wanted to keep things private and I never wanted to offend her.
However, when I write my posts, they are still open and honest. I tell things as I know them to be or how I think I know them to be. I do not try to make myself out to be better than I am. I don't write to please or to get a bunch of people to read my blog.
If I had known that my the cousin of my ex-girlfriend read my blog, I wouldn't have written what I had. Not because the anecdote was a lie, and not because it might offend the cousin. Everything I wrote there was true, and was exactly what I remembered and what I was thinking when it happened, and I barely know the cousin. However, I wouldn't have written it because I would never want to upset my ex's relationship with her cousin. That's the only part that I feel terrible about.
Maybe you should have a disclaimer as a description of your blog.
ReplyDeleteWhat I don't get is she totally outed herself if her name really is Cali
ReplyDeleteI think that even people who aren't in relationships get into comfort zones. Mine is falling for the unavailable guy. Whether it be he's already in a relationship or just not on the same emotional level as I am, I just can't help but falling for these guys. And I know deep down nothing will EVER happen (I SO would NEVER break anyone up. I'm just not that kinda girl). I think i'm just so scared to get in a relationship that I find guys that I can never get anywhere with. Its happened since high school. Maybe even junior high. I just don't know how to break the cycle.
ReplyDelete"J", Thank you for taking the time to explain your thoughts on the matter. I understand your reasons and I'm glad you talked about them.
ReplyDeleteFor the record, I like when you talk about me. ;-) Honestly.
ReplyDeleteMandi,
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you finally commented on my blog. Thanks.
J,
ReplyDeleteI cannot believe that even though this is your blog, that you write things that are not true and can hurt others......From what it appears via the response to you from your exs' cousin, you do not know them well enough to make the statement you made about their relationship. You were out with them once and met them maybe a few times.....You act like you totally know them and that what you wrote was indeed a fact.....The audacity!!!! I think your exs' cousin was way too nice in her response to you......Your blog or not, you need to be more respectful and not a gossip, especially of inaccurate information.....Of course you have already said that you are not here to learn.......That also certainly says alot about someone, as did your statement that you can write whatever you want since this is your blog......Remember that karma comes back!!
Reality,
ReplyDeleteHere's a dose of reality for you. People make impressions about opthers. People come to conclusions about others, and people say things about others based on the information that they have. I told a story. What I said in that story was the truth. The reason I laughed was exactly what I said.
If I had said it via email to my friends or said it in conversation to a bunch of strangers, the cousin could never have said anything about it. I have my own reasons for believing what I believe.
You say things about me all the time that are wholly inaccurate.
Any further negative comments will be deleted from my blog.