Monday, June 27, 2005

Perceptions

Everyone has their perspective or their opinion.

"Your blog isn't very funny."
*blink*
"Sometimes it is, but it's much more analytical. Whereas, you are so much more laid back and funny in real life."
"Thanks(?)"

People can say the most interesting things sometimes. It is true of course. No amount of writing I could do here would ever fully express who I am in real life. How I act, my mannerisms, my cooking, my massages, all sorts of things are lost in this medium of blog. Lost in the translation, as it were. Moreover, the things that I write here are, at times, subject to interpretation. Everyone takes their own perspective from what I write here and has their own impression of the type of person I am from it. My friends have the ability to apply what they know of me to what they read, but to an outsider, it may be a much more fuzzy picture that they perceive. Even people I have dated have, at times I feel, gained a misconception of who I am.

I have found, during the course of my relationships, that I have often been mistaken for the other guy. A woman will meet me, and get to know me and like me but suddenly be nervous. I had one girl explain to me that she gets scared when a relationship is going well and will push the guy away, out of some sort of fear. Others worried that I would hurt her like the last guy. I always would try to protest, and claim that it was simply a case of mistaken identity. Most of these women would then go off with the next guy only to get hurt. I was somehow mistaken for the next guy, the wrong guy, or the next mistake.

Considering the foregoing, I feel I should straighten out a couple of things - like crooked pictures in the room:

I really do not have anything against my ex. I think she is an amazing woman. I think we, as a couple and indivisually, had some problems that needed to be worked through in order for the relationship to succeed. This did not happen. Maybe it was timing, maybe it was lack of desire, maybe we just did not fit together correctly, I have no idea. The bottom line is that she is a great person and I care about her, and would never want to hurt her. I feel like there is a misconception, based on my posts that she was this terrible person that I stayed with, and she was not.

I, actually, get along with a decent number of my ex girlfriends. It has usually taken time and effort on everyone's part, but I feel it has been worth it every time. Some of them have given me rare gifts that I caanot thank them enough for.

I think I have mentioned how important I feel communication is in a relationship. However, I think that it is really only step 1 in the stairway that is the relationship. Once, a need is communicated, both people actually need to do something about it, or cope with it in some way. People can express their frustrations and unhappiness with each other and themselves until they are blue in the face, but if nothing is being done about it, nothing will change. It's a lot like the person that says they want to lose weight, but fails to change their diet or go to a gym. If you really want something, you have to make it happen. No one said it would be easy.

4 comments:

  1. I think this post kindof relates to your "zone" one. I don't remember you ever saying anything mean about your ex. Just that there was lack of communication and it wasn't working out. Maybe your problem with girlfriends is the ones in Florida. You need a good midwestern girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think they're all taken. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've dated enough women to completely agree with you, if I had a nickel for every time I've heard that the girl is scared of getting close so they push away, or that they don't "want to get hurt", I'd be rich. I'll never figure them out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "No one said it would be easy" that was my mothers mantra growing up. Now it's mine. It's never easy figuring out the dynamics and parameters of the relationship. The pushing and pulling and starving for closeness in the middle of the night. It's want, desire, nasty, longing, communication and timing.
    It's finding the wrong person at the right time and ending up hurt because your perception was off.

    Communication and clarity.

    ReplyDelete

Google
WWW Search this site