Friday, June 03, 2005

Car Insurance

Presently, this post does not relate to my personal life, but it could, and I think that's what bugs me most of all.

I'm going to start off by saying that I know next to nothing about car insurance. Car insurance and I have a love hate relationship, it loves my money and I hate paying for it. I hate paying for something that I hope I will never have to use. I feel like I should only have to pay for 10 or 20 years and if nothing has happened at that point, they should give it to me for free until something does. What I hate more is that if something does happen, the company I have paid for years to protect me now wants me to pay more because something actually happened. I understand the company's reasoning and logic, but I also think it sucks, especially if I was not at fault for whatever happened.

Insurance in general fascinates me with its various forms and packages. However, automotive insurance simply mystifies me. I barely know what I am covered for, but they tell me it's what I need to have and I blindly believe them. I believe there is coverage for if you hit someone, and then there is coverage if you hit an object, and not a person. Then there are a lot of additional types you can acquire. You could probably spend as much as the car is worth on insurance quite easily, especially where I live.

I do know that a car in Florida is considered a dangerous instrumentality so if you have a lot of money, you better carry a hefty insurance policy to cover your liability, and not own it jointly with anyone, especially your spouse. I wouldn't pick the insurance policy though, I'd call an insurance broker for that.

In Flroida, as in most other states probably, we have no fault car insurance. So that even if it is totally not your fault that you are in an accident, yeah it still is. I mean I know they call it "no fault" but really they just mean it's always your fault, or "everyone's fault". I think the worst thing is that no matter who is at fault, your insurance rates go up as a result. So someone cuts me off, slams on their brakes, and I rear end them, and I'm at fault. (I think even before no fault insurance you were presumed to be at fault in this type of a situation anyway.) I just think it sucks.

3 comments:

  1. "What I hate more is that if something does happen, the company I have paid for years to protect me now wants me to pay more because something actually happened."

    -- My thoughts exactly.

    In New Jersey, politicians routinely get elected on promises of insurance reform. We have the highest auto insurance rates in the country, did you know that? My first year here was the worst -- two used cars, two perfect driving records = $7500 for 12 months' coverage, payable in lump sum, up-front only. The penalty was due to a lapse in coverage that exceeded 30 days. Granted, it was my fault for misunderstanding the termination of my prior policy, but jeez! Now, 3 years later, we are down to about $4000 per year with newer cars and still-perfect records. Still paying for the lapse mistake. I told the agent "No wonder people commit insurance fraud!"

    So if anyone has a right to complain about auto insurance, it's people like me. Pout.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your view of paying ins. for 10-20 yrs then it should be free. I agree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Insurance BLOWS!! Everyone in the world should just go on strike and not pay!!! Those bastards...

    ReplyDelete

Google
WWW Search this site