Monday, June 20, 2005

Back Again

It lives on. It lives on because of something Stephanie said to me. Basically, that I would get used to it and not to give a fuck what others say.

My weekend was eventful. First, I went out of town, and plans got all rearranged so I ended up seeing my mother and going to a big fish cookout at my friends' place in Punta Gorda. It was a lot of fun, and very relaxing. I got back home in the late afternoon on Sunday and took a long nap. It was great. I also contacted an ex while I was away. She's not exactly an "ex". We sort of dated ... or something for about a month before she moved away. The only part that really sucked was our friendship sort of went haywire as a result of ... extenuating circumstances, and there ya have it.

For this story, I must digress a bit. David Sedaris wrote a book called "Me Talk Pretty One Day". In it, he introduces you to his life and the lives of his family (whether they like it or not). One of the chapters in the book is called "You Can't Kill The Rooster", which basically introduces you to his brother, the black sheep of the family, who spews vulgarity as easily as he breathes. For example, "Motherfucker, I ain't seen pussy in so long, I'd throw stones at it." My ex gave me this book, with which I surprised her by reading it. In any event, after a year of not speaking, I decided an email written in the prose form of "The Rooster" would be in order. (I am often tempted to write in this form, but always fear offending whomever I am writing to, but not with her.) I wanted to write her to apologize for not being a great friend towards her at the end, and assisting in the debacle that was our friendship. I had no idea what to expect in response. I only hoped that whatever the response, it wouldn't be mean. I really wasn't up for mean. She actually wrote me back today, and it was really rather amicable. Hopefully, we can salvage a friendship out of the mess.

My hair continues to run away from me. It becomes a struggle for me to go get a hair cut as I consistently have less and less of it. It starts to become scary when they get to the top of your head and only have to make a few snips to finish. I began life with a very full and thick head of hair. This consistency now only remains on the sides and back of my head, as the remainder retreats in complete defiance of my wishes. I'm told many women find bald men attractive. Perhaps I will soon entice a whole new type of woman.

As a final note, I have thought long and hard about what to do about the comment situation, and have decided that if it does become too much, I will start deleting the negative ones, but for now, I will endeavor to just ignore them.

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you stayed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, that's one. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey I'm glad too. I'm just mad that only Stephanie swayed you and I didn't. Hmmmph.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All of your posts of encouragement helped to, Kiki, Sass, Sarah, everyone. It's just Stephanie is, in some ways, amazing to me for her ability to never say die in the face of terrible criticism. It's her way of thinking about this problem that helped me continue, but all of you helped inspire me to write her. It was a team effort. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Google
WWW Search this site