Sunday, June 12, 2005

Accomplishments

For months I have had stupid things that I have wanted to accomlish. I have wanted to finally finish a book. It didn't matter which book really, but I definitely wanted to finish one of the 5 I had started. I also wanted to watch some of my DVDs. See I buy DVDs and then never watch them. Sometimes I don't watch them because I've already seen the movie and still remember it too well to want to watch it, but if a friend hasn't seen it I'll watch it with them. Othertimes, I buy them and simply never find the time to watch them.

Over the past week, I finished "Fast Food Nation" and I watched two of the DVDs I had recently bought, "Intolerable Cruelty", which I thought was dumb, and "Garden State", which I found amusing, in a melancholy sort of way, on certain levels. I also saw "Mr. and Mrs. Smith", which rocked.

"Fast Food Nation" has left me with a lot of thoughts. One being that if a terrorist group really ever wanted to mess up our country, they could just sneak some terrorists into all the migrant workers we have preparing our meats for us. Another is something I remember learning in my food law class, and that is that our country really doesn't care that much about us. It all gets confused by the time all the lobbiests and the other money holders have had their say. I learned that the whole story about fast food companies not being able to make better quality food or pay their workers more is all krap because In-N-Out (which I loved before reading this book) has been doing it for years, and their food is still cheap. Their managers make about $80,000.00 per year. I also learned that some of the biggest safety and health related reforms in the food industry, as of late, have occurred not due to government intervention, but because of protests and lawsuits, and McDonalds wanting to avoid these things and change its image.

I cooked this weekend. I created some really great dishes, and layered a ton of flavors. Cooking is really a lot easier than everyone thinks it is. The two hardest things about cooking are having the currect tools and all the preparation (cutting, chopping, marinating, etc.). I really love to cook. I think I could watch the Food Network and Comedy Central all day and never get bored. There's always something good to watch.

I went on a date last week. I tried the online thing, but I don't think online is for me. I'm not exactly certain how I'll meet my next girlfriend or my next date for that matter, but I really think there has to be a better way than the Internet or a bar or something like that, or maybe it's just time for me to be single and imporve upon myself without anyone else being around. My psychologist doesn't like the whole idea of online dating. She feels I should try and meet people with similar interests. Hence, my idea of joining clubs and such where I may meet people with similar interests has some validity. I still haven't done a very good job at finding those clubs. I've been thinking about getting a dog. I'm not really a cat person. I've only ever really liked my best friend's cat. I had dogs all through growing up until I was about 16, and I love them, but I'm allergic to them. So I think I may need to go see an allergist and get tested for everything and maybe we can find a solution.

Small accomplishments I suppose, but they are all mine.

4 comments:

  1. I think I might pick up that book sometime--it sounds really interesting.
    Garden State rocks and the soundtrack is even better.
    I'm in total agreement with you on the Food Network and Comedy Central. How could you ever get bored with 30 minute meals, Unwrapped, Reno 911 etc.!! So what did you make?
    You should totally get a dog. You should get one that looks just like mine because mine is the cutest in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made a tuna salad type thing with red peppers and green pepppers and some seasoning and then put that on top of a bed of greens (arugala, spinach, and such). And I made this interesting stir fry type dish. First I marinated the chicken for a few hours in a citrus-like marinate. Then I stir fried it with red peppers, green peppers, garlic, and portabello mushrooms. I forgot the spinach. :-(

    I was thinking more golden retriever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds delicious..mmmmm...hungry now. :)
    Golden retreivers suck. Shih-tzu's are where it's at.
    Actually, golden retre. are good dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Finishing a good book is a major accomplishment. Similar to you, unless the book keeps me dangling on the edge of my seat I read 5 books at one time.

    Cats suck, which is why I have one - my sister made me take it after she had kids. I try to give her to everyone. No one wants my freakin cat. I hate being that single girl with a cat (freaky) Jo is really needy and wants love all the time. Ugh! I agree dogs are much more entertaining if you have the space for them. Retreivers are an awesome choice. They have a great demeanor about them.

    Another good book about the meat industry to read is Toxin by Robin Cooke. He's a MD and an amazing writer, he throws documented facts at you in the midst of a police chase. It's useless knowledge for the lazy.

    You want my cat don't you?

    ReplyDelete

Google
WWW Search this site