"Write something, dammit."
"I know, I know, but what do I write?"
I have drafts of posts sitting in my brain and in my Google account. I tease at them and toy with them hoping that they will take shape and become something pretty, but they just sort of seem to languish there and fall to pieces, slipping through my hands as I watch helplessly. I don't know if it's a result of my impending surgery or just the state of my brain. Not all the parts of my body have been playing nicely with one another, as of late. I keep thinking there will be a civil war, but I'm hopeful an accord will be struck before anyone does anything too hasty.
Recently, I've been considering the blogger landscape, or at least the one that I have been a part of and watched over the past year. So many bloggers that I read when I started are no longer around. I don't think writing is the easiest thing to do for a lot of people, and I think, oftentimes, life has a habit of getting in the way of creativity. People run out of ideas or think that what they have to say is no longer unique or exciting. They, like me, get tired of sitting in front of a phosphorous screen hoping that they can say something new, that the words will form and bend to their will.
I have been thinking about changing the format of my blog. Maybe I could just talk about random things. Or perhaps I could write miniature scenes to illustrate ideas in my head. I think about the possibilities and I get stuck on repeat. Then I go read other people's material and marvel at their ability to write every single damn day. I have to remind myself that some of these people are writers - they actually write for a living, and writing on a blog is just an extension of what they do anyway. I write for a living, but my writing goes more like this: "Each beneficiary shall have the right to withdraw from the Trust the maximum amount over which the lapse of a power to withdraw is not considered a release of such power under Sections 2041 and 2514 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended (hereinafter the “Base Withdrawal Amount”)." Wasn't that fun? No? Oh, never mind then. Go read Jill. Oh no wait, she's on vacation. Go read Stephanie. She writes a lot more about motherhood and breast feeding now, and oftentimes, I think only women still read her, but she's got some game. Go read Scott. He's smart and is likely to say something interesting.
Blogs are also not really like books. I have written a lot of stuff here, but the average person only reads page one. That's it. That's me. That's what they get, and if they "follow me", they get from that day forward, maybe. There's all this other material that I've written that people will never look at. If you read a book by an author you really like, you'd probably check out his previous works. When I read Me Talk Pretty One Day, I went out and got Naked. (That's pretty funny when you read it.) I read little articles and stories he'd written that appeared in the media. Why don't I do this with blogs?
Recently, I came upon a blog that I thought was really cool. (She doesn't have comments turned on because she's a punk and you should tell her how ridiculous she's being for not allowing comments right here.) I actually went through and read every single one of her posts. It was different because I'd never done that before. I didn't have to wait for her to post something new because there was always something new to me to be read, and the writing was really touching and poignant - very thoughtful. But then I ran out of material. It was like finishing a Harry Potter book. Now I had to wait. "I hate waiting." - Inigo Montoya. But it got me to thinking. Maybe I should read other people's archives. I mean here these people have taken the time to pour themselves - or an aspect of themselves - into the virtual pages that spring to life before your eyes. Maybe I should actually take the time to give it a look. At least then I wouldn't have to wait for them to write something new for me to be able to read something new. Or maybe I should just work on actually reading the Jasper Fforde book I started.
"I know, I know, but what do I write?"
I have drafts of posts sitting in my brain and in my Google account. I tease at them and toy with them hoping that they will take shape and become something pretty, but they just sort of seem to languish there and fall to pieces, slipping through my hands as I watch helplessly. I don't know if it's a result of my impending surgery or just the state of my brain. Not all the parts of my body have been playing nicely with one another, as of late. I keep thinking there will be a civil war, but I'm hopeful an accord will be struck before anyone does anything too hasty.
Recently, I've been considering the blogger landscape, or at least the one that I have been a part of and watched over the past year. So many bloggers that I read when I started are no longer around. I don't think writing is the easiest thing to do for a lot of people, and I think, oftentimes, life has a habit of getting in the way of creativity. People run out of ideas or think that what they have to say is no longer unique or exciting. They, like me, get tired of sitting in front of a phosphorous screen hoping that they can say something new, that the words will form and bend to their will.
I have been thinking about changing the format of my blog. Maybe I could just talk about random things. Or perhaps I could write miniature scenes to illustrate ideas in my head. I think about the possibilities and I get stuck on repeat. Then I go read other people's material and marvel at their ability to write every single damn day. I have to remind myself that some of these people are writers - they actually write for a living, and writing on a blog is just an extension of what they do anyway. I write for a living, but my writing goes more like this: "Each beneficiary shall have the right to withdraw from the Trust the maximum amount over which the lapse of a power to withdraw is not considered a release of such power under Sections 2041 and 2514 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended (hereinafter the “Base Withdrawal Amount”)." Wasn't that fun? No? Oh, never mind then. Go read Jill. Oh no wait, she's on vacation. Go read Stephanie. She writes a lot more about motherhood and breast feeding now, and oftentimes, I think only women still read her, but she's got some game. Go read Scott. He's smart and is likely to say something interesting.
Blogs are also not really like books. I have written a lot of stuff here, but the average person only reads page one. That's it. That's me. That's what they get, and if they "follow me", they get from that day forward, maybe. There's all this other material that I've written that people will never look at. If you read a book by an author you really like, you'd probably check out his previous works. When I read Me Talk Pretty One Day, I went out and got Naked. (That's pretty funny when you read it.) I read little articles and stories he'd written that appeared in the media. Why don't I do this with blogs?
Recently, I came upon a blog that I thought was really cool. (She doesn't have comments turned on because she's a punk and you should tell her how ridiculous she's being for not allowing comments right here.) I actually went through and read every single one of her posts. It was different because I'd never done that before. I didn't have to wait for her to post something new because there was always something new to me to be read, and the writing was really touching and poignant - very thoughtful. But then I ran out of material. It was like finishing a Harry Potter book. Now I had to wait. "I hate waiting." - Inigo Montoya. But it got me to thinking. Maybe I should read other people's archives. I mean here these people have taken the time to pour themselves - or an aspect of themselves - into the virtual pages that spring to life before your eyes. Maybe I should actually take the time to give it a look. At least then I wouldn't have to wait for them to write something new for me to be able to read something new. Or maybe I should just work on actually reading the Jasper Fforde book I started.
The rumors of my smart have been greatly exaggerated.
ReplyDeleteYou make some interesting points. Like when you talk about me, for instance. I find that very interesting.
I think I'll go get Naked too. Thanks for the idea.
Hello, -J.
interesting that you began here talking about writing and ended up talking about reading.
ReplyDeleteI like your posts. You are insightful and articulate. I have not though, read your archives. Frankly it has nothing to do with the content. It is just that I dont have time! It is all I can do to get through the assorted favorites I have and write something myself.
Back to the writing bit, what is your goal for this blog? Is it to vent, a creative outlet, a way to connect with people... If you choose to change things just be sure that it suits your goals here too. I will continue to read if you continue to post. AND if you tell me a few of your favorite posts from the past I may even have a look there! *wink
Good luck with the surgery. Let us know how it goes.