It's now been almost two weeks since my surgery. In that time, I've had two infections and a rash (which still hasn't gone away).
It all started innocently enough, I went to the hospital and eventually convinced a reluctant senior nurse that I really do have a tremendous aversion to needles. I think what really convinced her was the heart monitor beeping at a velocity normally reserved for runners at the end of a marathon, as she went to locate a place for the IV, even after she placed me on straight oxygen. She ended up giving me lots of tranquilizers to sedate me. Next came the numbing of the arm. This is the fun part where they play with an electric stimulator on the nerves in your neck until they get you to admit pain and get your arm to flop around in just the right manner. Then there's the injection. Fortunately, my nerves of steel were not really convinced the first time around that they should be numb, so we got to do this fun procedure twice. At last, came the surgery, of which I remember absolutely nothing, other than the intense discomfort I felt in my arm after anesthesiologist finished giving me lots of oxygen and told me he was going to inject the tranquilizer and that the burning sensation I would likely feel was normal.
After the procedure, I remember being intensely thirsty and wanting my friend to be there.
"You want us to call her now?"
"Yes."
After satiating my thirst, they called my friend, fed me applesauce and tried in vain to entice me with a granola bar.
That night, I started running a fever, which persisted through most of the weekend. There I was, in the beautiful Sunshine State, sitting under three comforters, with my teeth chattering as though I were in Chicago in the dead of winter. Something was clearly wrong with this picture, and not just the fact that I wasn't able to lie down because of the surgery - a condition that would persist for over a week. My ears and throat hurt and I just wanted the fever to go away and not come back. Only the former request was respected.
My friend was immeasurably helpful. Even though I was a terrible patient and she had to fight with me to pretty much do anything for me, I greatly appreciated her taking the time to cook for me and more than anything, I appreciated her company. It was sad for me when she left because I didn't know what it would be like to not have anyone there to help me or joke with, but the time had come and there was simply no avoiding it. Besides, I had my percocet and antibiotics to keep me company.
Next came the doctor visits. First I saw my surgeon, who informed me that the surgery did not go in any way as expected. The tendons that they thought were torn, didn't show any indication of an actual tear. Instead, it had been a shoulder abnormality that he had needed to correct. I now am the proud owner of some interesting shots of the inside of my shoulder. The next day, I went to see my general physician regarding the fever I still had. He found the wounds to be infected and gave me more medications. Several days later, I developed a rash. Still don't know what that's from. However, the Benedryl seems to be helping.
My stitches come out next week but the sling will remain for at least another two weeks. I'm still having trouble not using my shoulder and am often very sternly reminded by my body that I am not allowed to complete that motion at this time. It's a very harsh and unforgiving reminder that can linger for at least an hour. And the rehabilitation will take approximately four months, but hopefully, I will be better than ever once it is all over.
It all started innocently enough, I went to the hospital and eventually convinced a reluctant senior nurse that I really do have a tremendous aversion to needles. I think what really convinced her was the heart monitor beeping at a velocity normally reserved for runners at the end of a marathon, as she went to locate a place for the IV, even after she placed me on straight oxygen. She ended up giving me lots of tranquilizers to sedate me. Next came the numbing of the arm. This is the fun part where they play with an electric stimulator on the nerves in your neck until they get you to admit pain and get your arm to flop around in just the right manner. Then there's the injection. Fortunately, my nerves of steel were not really convinced the first time around that they should be numb, so we got to do this fun procedure twice. At last, came the surgery, of which I remember absolutely nothing, other than the intense discomfort I felt in my arm after anesthesiologist finished giving me lots of oxygen and told me he was going to inject the tranquilizer and that the burning sensation I would likely feel was normal.
After the procedure, I remember being intensely thirsty and wanting my friend to be there.
"You want us to call her now?"
"Yes."
After satiating my thirst, they called my friend, fed me applesauce and tried in vain to entice me with a granola bar.
That night, I started running a fever, which persisted through most of the weekend. There I was, in the beautiful Sunshine State, sitting under three comforters, with my teeth chattering as though I were in Chicago in the dead of winter. Something was clearly wrong with this picture, and not just the fact that I wasn't able to lie down because of the surgery - a condition that would persist for over a week. My ears and throat hurt and I just wanted the fever to go away and not come back. Only the former request was respected.
My friend was immeasurably helpful. Even though I was a terrible patient and she had to fight with me to pretty much do anything for me, I greatly appreciated her taking the time to cook for me and more than anything, I appreciated her company. It was sad for me when she left because I didn't know what it would be like to not have anyone there to help me or joke with, but the time had come and there was simply no avoiding it. Besides, I had my percocet and antibiotics to keep me company.
Next came the doctor visits. First I saw my surgeon, who informed me that the surgery did not go in any way as expected. The tendons that they thought were torn, didn't show any indication of an actual tear. Instead, it had been a shoulder abnormality that he had needed to correct. I now am the proud owner of some interesting shots of the inside of my shoulder. The next day, I went to see my general physician regarding the fever I still had. He found the wounds to be infected and gave me more medications. Several days later, I developed a rash. Still don't know what that's from. However, the Benedryl seems to be helping.
My stitches come out next week but the sling will remain for at least another two weeks. I'm still having trouble not using my shoulder and am often very sternly reminded by my body that I am not allowed to complete that motion at this time. It's a very harsh and unforgiving reminder that can linger for at least an hour. And the rehabilitation will take approximately four months, but hopefully, I will be better than ever once it is all over.
OK, this is the nurse in me talking, but are you still taking the meds your doc gave you for the infection? Because you're probably having an allregic reaction to those.
ReplyDeleteSorry you're having a difficult time.
((((HUGS))))
ReplyDeleteglad to see you are feeling well enough to actually TALK about it
glad you are back writing... gosh it sounds awful! Your friend sounds like a gem!!!!!
ReplyDeleteHi! I'm not sure if you remember me, but I'll be coming back to the blogging community, hope to hear from ya soon.
ReplyDeleteso are you still alive? Just wondering...lol
ReplyDeleteHope you are feeling better in spirit and body!