The thing that strikes me most oftentimes about religion is not so much its ability to aid and unify, but more its ability to divide. The more I seem to learn about religions, their origins and history, the more I find both fantastic stories of kindness and selflessness, as well as hurtful and ridiculous acts of meanness, all of which are committed in the name of religion.
These acts are not just historical in nature of course; one does not have to look to the Roman conquering of nations, the Crusades, or historical examples to find examples of religion causing fundamental breakdowns in relationships and interactions of people. In fact, I think one would really only need attend my church on any given Sunday to see just how truly charitable and nurturing some religious folks can be.
One does not have to look far to see the church's involvement with political parties - the politicizing of religion - as they lobby for the politician to be placed in office that shares in that religion's beliefs and will strive to make its traditions law. One cannot help but notice the role religion plays both in the strengthening, but also the breakdown of a relationship or a marriage upon the divergence of one of the partner's beliefs. (Many evangelists would argue that this type of breakdown should not be viewed as a breakdown at all but merely a higher power taking a role in unyoking one person from another who is not more evenly matched spiritually.) Religion can also be a major factor in thwarting the relationship between a parent and child, when their views diverge and one is not able or willing to accept, and treat with equality, the other person's beliefs.
Religion can lift and strengthen some who are coping with debilitating conditions or addictions that they feel powerless to overcome on their own. However, religion can sometimes render a person sufficiently immobile and incapable of walking away from a flawed relationship or the like. (While many will preach the importance of what the Bible says about leaving such relationships, from my experience, the actual grief and fear that grips these people in such times of trouble is merely compounded by the religious doctrine that has been fostered in them, and often helps to render them hostage in a failed and damaging relationship.) So while at times religion has wonderfully positive effects on people in their development and changing, it can also have severe adverse effects on people in their development and changing - making issues that are already difficult to deal with easier or even harder.
To me religion offers promise and hope, and has the potential of lifting people from depths of despair and suffering. However, it also has the power to inflict just as much damage. It is often a question of how it is used and interpreted. Given that religion holds such awesome power, it seems almost scary that it rests in the hands of so many ordinary people.
*(These thoughts are not fully developed.)
These acts are not just historical in nature of course; one does not have to look to the Roman conquering of nations, the Crusades, or historical examples to find examples of religion causing fundamental breakdowns in relationships and interactions of people. In fact, I think one would really only need attend my church on any given Sunday to see just how truly charitable and nurturing some religious folks can be.
One does not have to look far to see the church's involvement with political parties - the politicizing of religion - as they lobby for the politician to be placed in office that shares in that religion's beliefs and will strive to make its traditions law. One cannot help but notice the role religion plays both in the strengthening, but also the breakdown of a relationship or a marriage upon the divergence of one of the partner's beliefs. (Many evangelists would argue that this type of breakdown should not be viewed as a breakdown at all but merely a higher power taking a role in unyoking one person from another who is not more evenly matched spiritually.) Religion can also be a major factor in thwarting the relationship between a parent and child, when their views diverge and one is not able or willing to accept, and treat with equality, the other person's beliefs.
Religion can lift and strengthen some who are coping with debilitating conditions or addictions that they feel powerless to overcome on their own. However, religion can sometimes render a person sufficiently immobile and incapable of walking away from a flawed relationship or the like. (While many will preach the importance of what the Bible says about leaving such relationships, from my experience, the actual grief and fear that grips these people in such times of trouble is merely compounded by the religious doctrine that has been fostered in them, and often helps to render them hostage in a failed and damaging relationship.) So while at times religion has wonderfully positive effects on people in their development and changing, it can also have severe adverse effects on people in their development and changing - making issues that are already difficult to deal with easier or even harder.
To me religion offers promise and hope, and has the potential of lifting people from depths of despair and suffering. However, it also has the power to inflict just as much damage. It is often a question of how it is used and interpreted. Given that religion holds such awesome power, it seems almost scary that it rests in the hands of so many ordinary people.
*(These thoughts are not fully developed.)
and what will you define as an extra ordinary person?
ReplyDeleteTo me - it is not religion that can cause dispair but the populations very very skewed interpretation of what some holy people say and do.
ReplyDeleteI have also studied many religions and I find more similarity than not.
I have read the bible and see what I think Jesus meant when he said that we could do what he could do..just have to have faith. But I think he meant faith in the power of a miracle and faith in the power of love.
I think all those teachings can be summed up into one sentence.... and if we took it as what it was supposed to be then the disapir could lesson and miracles could happen.
As a wise owl summed it up for me
It all comes down to,
"Love thy neighbor as thyself and the rest is mere commentary."
So I just live by that.
I was raised Jewish but dont identify with a specific religion now but I do believe in God. I love studying religion and all religions.
:)
Tilda ~ This may not necessarily be appropriate here, but I would say Stephen Hawking is fairl extraordinary.
ReplyDeleteRachel ~ I liked a lot of what you had to say, except for your one sentence rule. I actually wrote a post about it a while back (http://lifetodate.blogspot.com/2006/04/golden-rule.html) if you'd care to take a gander. But I still really liked your comment.
Is this a blog post or dissertation?
ReplyDeleteFor a lot of people it's not a religion, but a relationship with God.
I don't know what to comment on this one... I just think religion is an amazing thing. Getting a group of people from various backgrounds together in one building for fellowship is incredible.. but I understand how you can see it as destructive at times.. but I don't really think that's an issue in America when compared to other countries.
Quik ~ Neither, it's a brief synopsis of some of my impressions regarding religion on my blog. :-)
ReplyDelete