I was emailing my friend the other day in an attempt to coordinate plans for this weekend. She asked what we had in mind. To which I responded, "We don't have anything planned really. Maybe dinner and pool or whatever. Nothing too big. We're boring people by nature I think."
It was after writing this email and considering it for awhile yesterday that I realized, my life really is rather boring. Aside from random losses of my wallet and relationships and such, I don't really have a ton of excitement in my life. I don't party too much anymore. I work, go to the gym, watch some television, talk with friends, and fall asleep. On the weekends, I omit the work usually, and occassionally add some alcohol content and cooking to lighten the mood. Sometimes, I'll have big adventures, and I frequently travel about the state of Florida visiting friends, but I am not sure that I would be classified as Mr. Excitement.
I don't live the rock star lifestyle. I don't go to the posh restaurants, buy the designer labels, or frequent trendy destinations. I don't hookup with bloggers who are hooking up with other bloggers and create weird blogging love triangles. I don't have crazy sex parties with strippers or do drugs.
Some of my friends think I am too intellectual (or geeky), as I can discuss tax issues with my friends from The Tax Program for hours, and I actually derive fun from academic exercises, like writing articles or helping my friends with complicated legal issues. However, most of my friends that know me better would tell you this really is not the case, and that I often only do those things for the mental challenge, or to help a friend.
I'm a boring attorney. The thing I realized, though, is that I'm pretty happy about it. Don't get me wrong, I can party with the best of them, but I'll often take the cool jazz club over the loud sloppy dance party or the next big rave; often selecting the quiet spots, those undiscovered treasures where I can sit on the stool and everyone knows my name over the messy free-for-alls where anonymity is often the status quo. My hats off to the people that can keep all of the extracurricular activities going and without collapsing or cause any physical harm to themselves or others. I'll settle for my quiet spot on a beach in a hammock, with a drink in my hand, and a song in my heart.
It was after writing this email and considering it for awhile yesterday that I realized, my life really is rather boring. Aside from random losses of my wallet and relationships and such, I don't really have a ton of excitement in my life. I don't party too much anymore. I work, go to the gym, watch some television, talk with friends, and fall asleep. On the weekends, I omit the work usually, and occassionally add some alcohol content and cooking to lighten the mood. Sometimes, I'll have big adventures, and I frequently travel about the state of Florida visiting friends, but I am not sure that I would be classified as Mr. Excitement.
I don't live the rock star lifestyle. I don't go to the posh restaurants, buy the designer labels, or frequent trendy destinations. I don't hookup with bloggers who are hooking up with other bloggers and create weird blogging love triangles. I don't have crazy sex parties with strippers or do drugs.
Some of my friends think I am too intellectual (or geeky), as I can discuss tax issues with my friends from The Tax Program for hours, and I actually derive fun from academic exercises, like writing articles or helping my friends with complicated legal issues. However, most of my friends that know me better would tell you this really is not the case, and that I often only do those things for the mental challenge, or to help a friend.
I'm a boring attorney. The thing I realized, though, is that I'm pretty happy about it. Don't get me wrong, I can party with the best of them, but I'll often take the cool jazz club over the loud sloppy dance party or the next big rave; often selecting the quiet spots, those undiscovered treasures where I can sit on the stool and everyone knows my name over the messy free-for-alls where anonymity is often the status quo. My hats off to the people that can keep all of the extracurricular activities going and without collapsing or cause any physical harm to themselves or others. I'll settle for my quiet spot on a beach in a hammock, with a drink in my hand, and a song in my heart.
I too am a much milder version of myself these days, partially out of necessity but also because I wouldn't enjoy flitting around to various dives, superficially flirting with guys and dosing myself to absolution anymore. Wait, yes I would.
ReplyDeleteS.
Shelley I almost had to disown you. Thang Gawd you reclaimed yourself.
ReplyDeleteWhen did reality and responsibility suddenly just catch up with us? Is it something we settle into with older age, just doing the daily thing and losing the spontaneity, and attraction to those things we used to love to do that we now for some reason abhor? or just can't fit into our 'busy lifestyles'? When did they stop becoming fun, anyway? Now it's like I can't stay up all night anymore, I can't go out to play with people at the drop of a hat, I certainly can't eat what I used to like anymore...I'm an old shadow of my former self. WTF.
ReplyDeleteMaybe this is why I have older people (former coworkers) telling me that I should be out and having more fun at my age than being all settled and domesticated and responsible. "I'm tellin you, these walls are funny. First you hate 'em, then you get used to 'em. Enough time passes, you get so you depend on 'em." ...I guess I need a big goddamn poster.
I demand a recount. I'm not this damn old yet. I'm too young to be boring and blase and settled! AAAAA!
<-pushes against the envelope of reality->
Your description sounds identical to me. To a tee.
ReplyDeleteWhile I used to be a wild party girl, I would much rather snuggle up on a couch with a book and glass of wine.....
Maybe I'll do that this weekend!
lost9oddess said...
ReplyDeletebeing boring is ok. being bored would be bad. i'm perfectly content being boring. sometimes doing "exciting, fun" things actually gets me a little down on a different dimension--i expect to be really having a blast, but actually don't enjoy it any more than something as mundane as tv or a good book.
There is nothing wrong with "boring". I think you get to a certain age (I myself am only 32) and you prefer the simpler things. Remember it's quality....not quantity.
ReplyDeleteI suppose it is about what we enjoy and the quality of that enjoyment. If we enjoy who cares if others would find it boring? I'll wager the beach is busier than the bar :)
ReplyDeleteYeah, sorry to burst your bubble, but there's nothing abnormal about rejecting the loud, sloppy(?), anonymous free-for-all rave. I'd be worried if you HADN'T outgrown it.
ReplyDeleteI, too, am a boring person. But I'm ok with it. If people don't like it, so what. I'm MUCH happier at home with a book or a movie than out at a club.
ReplyDeletei am boring now too. i prefer to be boring, whereas when i was in college i was known as "party girl." we grow up!
ReplyDelete