Sunday, August 07, 2005

Alcohol as Inspiration

My best friend invited me to his girlfriend's house in Miami for the weekend. It was a little surprising because I barely know her parents (she still lives at home), and now they were inviting me to dinner. However, I thought it would be pretty cool to hang out with them. I even bought wine to accompany the dinner, but we couldn't wait for the dinner to start before enjoying the wine.

It was after the first bottle that we became inspired to make an appetizer. In this case we decided on potabellos marinated in a wine sauce, mozzarella wrapped in prosciutto ham, tomatoes, and sauteed spinach. Mmmm, various spices, seasonings, and lots of garlic were added, and the wine was eventually reduced to a delicious wine sauce. BAM! Delicious.

As I related this story to an amazing siren today, she responded, "Stop drooling. It's only food." Aww, she just didn't understand. I love food, and this was delicious food. Few things rank above food on my list of things in this world that I love. I mean there's sleep, sex, and food. Some (George Costanza included) have even tried to combine two of the foregoing to create a rare and supremely orgasmic experience. Everything beyond these items is negotiable. I mean who really needs to breathe if you have to forfeit these.

I fear that the family may think I'm an alcoholic. They looked at me, as we "crazy kids" had gone through 3 bottles of wine in one afternoon. However, one bottle was almost fully consumed in marinating, and two bottles over five hours really isn't that bad. "Look at you trying to rationalize it," the siren chided. I have never achieved the status of alcoholic. I think I lack the motivation it would take to drink that often. This is probably for the best as one can only have so many things on their list that they rank above breathing.

19 comments:

  1. Sometimes I worry people think that I'm an alcoholic too. I hardly ever drink, but when I do, I can knock 'em back. I mean, last Christmas, my friend Jme and I went through a bottle and a half of vodka. But after that I didn't drink for like 2 months.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to have you cook for me! Everytime you talk about something you cook, it sounds so delicious!

    And I'm in the same boat as you; sleep, sex, food. But before I would have included cigarettes. :) Which reminds me, way to suggest I smoke (your comment on my blog)! Don't be supportive or anything. Geez.

    And anyway, wine goes so fast. One bottle is like four glasses at most. So you're not an alchie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Earning the lable of "alcoholic" would only apply to you if you started marinating your Cheerios in it at 7 a.m. The food (minus the ham) sounds delicious. I had grilled chicken on smokey-sesame noodles with artichoke hearts, roma tomatoes, black and green olives, roasted garlic cloves, asiago/parmesan, and a pinch of parsley. Magnificent.

    Don't even get me started about the muffins I made on Thursday. I'm right with you on the food thing.

    (And PS: my attorney has taken care of the confidentialty agreement with my new employee, as well as all the "resident alien" stuff. Please don't worry for me, this is an employee, and nothing more!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, join the club Justin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great weekend. I wonder if your "friend" likes to be referred to as "Siren" Ouch.
    And yeah - it's just food. I'm hungry now - thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Siren sounds like a bitch. She may be a siren but somebody somewhere is sick of her shit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so passionate about food it's not even funny. Sleep, sex and food...

    Life is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mandi ~ I'm with you. Well ... maybe not 2 months, but I'm in your vicinity - now and again. :-)


    Special K ~ Awww, I didn't mean to sound unsupportive. I'm really excited for you. I just don't want you to be in extreme physical discomfort over it. :-)

    Ariel ~ I'm glad to know we have yet another thing in common. I still say you could win public office, by the way. I'm glad you worked all of that out with your attorney too. :-)

    Thomas ~ Thank you, sir. I promise to be a strong and active member. :-)

    Sass ~ I'm not sure, I didn't ask her. But who wouldn't want to be thought of as a seductress woman, using her beauty to lure sailors to their certain doom? I hope you satisfied your craving. :-)

    Chancelb ~ I've missed your posts! Come back.

    Kellie ~ I agree. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Justin - I am totally in trouble for my comment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't know about the others, but I hear you, bruthaman. Of sleep, sex, & food - food is the only one that can be counted on to be there when you need to satisfy the hunger. Just make sure you wrap your prosciutto. And don't uncork a bottle you don't intend to drink.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Chancelb ~ I'm sorry to hear that. I hope that doesn't mean you won't keep posting.

    Tinyhands ~ Too true.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So I'm going out on a limb here...but....

    Is the siren jess?

    I'm jus so smarts from alls that book learnin my daddy made me do as a youngin.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kiki - I have no idea. Lisa is being funny -

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lisa may have said the siren is a bitch, but Kiki's the one who said Jess was the siren...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Is someone trying to start a fight w/ me? Jess is a sweetheart and not a bitch. Except when she doesn't answer my interview questions. (wink wink Jess)

    So whatev tinyhands.

    J, Update!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. wine is good. delicious wine!

    ReplyDelete
  17. J you haven't commented on my last two posts. I see how you are.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Kiki- Aww, I was just having a bit of fun. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well, then apology accepted! :)

    ReplyDelete

Google
WWW Search this site