Tuesday, December 11, 2007

I Don't Understand

I wanted to write, but do not have very much to say. I got my first round of immunizations for my trip to Costa Rica next year. Just two more rounds, and I'll be ready, immunologically speaking. The woman that gave me my shots was really nice and seemed to know everything about diseases and which shots and medications I needed, and where to get a free, small supply of Cipro and everything else one could want when planning a trip to a foreign country where you could get Malaria and die.

Instead of continuing to bore you, however, I leave you with this small wisp of fiction that I wrote without thinking.

"I don't understand," she said, as her eyes welled up with sadness.

He had seen this look before, too many times, and knew the tears were about to fall. He hated the tears - they were the worst part. He would have done almost anything to keep them from falling. Instead, all he did was stare coolly at her, attempting to affect some sympathy and understanding in his eyes, but it was the end of the day and they were tired. He silently hoped she would hold it together just a little.

"I am really sorry to have to deliver the news, ma'am, but your husband is dead," his stare slightly softened. Usually, about now the reality would start sinking in. He really wished his partner was there, she was so much better at delivering news like this. Figures she had to be out sick today. He saw two small children contained in the picture over the woman's shoulder. They were probably at some after-school event, completely unaware at what news they were about to uncover when they came home. Something was burning in the kitchen.

"He was shot?"

"Yes, ma'am. It looks like he was not the intended target. Just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Two other people were shot with him. We believe it was a gang related shooting, but the investigation is still pending." Poor bastard was probably out trying to do some good. His fingerprints had been listed in the police files database, having been a social worker years ago. He had since gone into private practice working with the down-trodden. Perhaps trying to heal a partially fractured soul, after years of screwing the little guy in the big corporate rat race. No way to know, just now. It may even end up that he was an intended target. One thing was clear, the victim should have just stayed home with his lovely wife and enjoyed a quiet fall day in bed with the missus. What the hell was he doing in that part of town? He should have known better.

He began cautiously questioning her, gently probing for details, "Any idea why your husband was out that way; Did he have any enemies", etc. It was probably just going to end up being another case filed away as collateral damage, but he had to go through the motions. After twenty years on the job, the one thing Grady had learned was that routine was your friend.

5 comments:

  1. Interesting about your shots for Costa Rica... My brother and gf just went and didnt do anything prior to the trip.

    I loved the fictional piece. It was an interesting perspective from the officers point of view... you can tell that the 'routine' was a great defense mechanism so as not to get sucked up into the sorrow!

    Having been on the other end... being told about a death that way... it hit a bit close to home... but I enjoyed reading it anyway! =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate, yes, the immunizations are not required but are definitely recommended. It is mostly just the Hep A and Hep B vaccines that you would get for a short stay. Typhoid and other immunizations are more for if you are staying for a while, and the anti-Malaria drug is always just a good idea when you are doing a lot of nature things down there. Nothing is required, though. I just felt that it was worth a couple of shots and pills to avoid terrible sickness. Besides the vaccines last for life.

    Thanks for the compliment. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this line of your fiction... "He silently hoped she would hold it together just a little." Way to write from a mans perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, but I think I have a slight advantage in that writing style. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Google
WWW Search this site