"Have you been updating your blog?"
"Yes, once or twice per week, but I have not been writing the thoughtful introspective posts that you prefer."
"Why not?"
"I just have not had the time, or enough sleep to really let my brain wander onto such subjects."
I have had mild insomnia for years. I cannot really call it "insomnia", however, as I do sleep. I just have trouble staying asleep for extended periods of time, and then when I wake up, whenever I wake up, that's pretty much it. On rare occasions, my body finds a way to transport itself back to the land of dreams, but more often than not, I am met with nothing but hours of fatigued wakefulnesses.
I used to date a woman that often seemed to do nothing but sleep and, at the time, it drove me a little crazy. I have since stopped caring about such things. I now take pleasure in my girlfriend's uncanny ability to sleep for hours. She can sleep at least eight hours every night, and to me it's a marvel because I think I can count the number of days I have accomplished that feat in the last three months on one hand. Even more impressive to me is that if I accidentally wake her up, she simply rolls over and falls back to sleep, often never remembering ever being awakened, or even having a full conversation.
I frequently puzzle over how much I have changed in a matter of years. Things I have realized about myself or things that have just changed. Many of the items I instinctively knew would change; a coming of age that I was sure was upon me, but also in other ways that I never really saw coming. It also appears that I was not alone in my metamorphosis. Some of my friends have changed in significant ways, with religious awakenings (both toward and away), marriage, children, illness, death, etc. The lives of the people around me suddenly seem more complex, like prisms reflecting the light of their lives in a variety of colors.
Although, I sometimes feel a tiny fraction of my friends' changes are not necessarily for the best, or have the effect of making the person less appropriate for my life. For example, I have a friend for whom religion is nearly a cult, and it unnerves me slightly. For I often do not feel like he is the same person I knew. His opinions no longer feel like his own, but are more akin to a doctrine of sorts. Keeping the hard line. I suppose that is how it goes sometimes, but I wonder if an extreme of any religion, no matter the purity of intent, is the correct path to pursue. Many of his friends seem to be asking questions similar to this and I am not sure anyone has a good answer. Perhaps there is no answer. Perhaps the only answer is that sometimes you can no longer be the same with a person as you were before.
(This post sort of meandered on through my stream of consciousness, but I felt it got cumbersome and was unlikely to be read in full. So, I cut about half of it out.)
"Yes, once or twice per week, but I have not been writing the thoughtful introspective posts that you prefer."
"Why not?"
"I just have not had the time, or enough sleep to really let my brain wander onto such subjects."
I have had mild insomnia for years. I cannot really call it "insomnia", however, as I do sleep. I just have trouble staying asleep for extended periods of time, and then when I wake up, whenever I wake up, that's pretty much it. On rare occasions, my body finds a way to transport itself back to the land of dreams, but more often than not, I am met with nothing but hours of fatigued wakefulnesses.
I used to date a woman that often seemed to do nothing but sleep and, at the time, it drove me a little crazy. I have since stopped caring about such things. I now take pleasure in my girlfriend's uncanny ability to sleep for hours. She can sleep at least eight hours every night, and to me it's a marvel because I think I can count the number of days I have accomplished that feat in the last three months on one hand. Even more impressive to me is that if I accidentally wake her up, she simply rolls over and falls back to sleep, often never remembering ever being awakened, or even having a full conversation.
I frequently puzzle over how much I have changed in a matter of years. Things I have realized about myself or things that have just changed. Many of the items I instinctively knew would change; a coming of age that I was sure was upon me, but also in other ways that I never really saw coming. It also appears that I was not alone in my metamorphosis. Some of my friends have changed in significant ways, with religious awakenings (both toward and away), marriage, children, illness, death, etc. The lives of the people around me suddenly seem more complex, like prisms reflecting the light of their lives in a variety of colors.
Although, I sometimes feel a tiny fraction of my friends' changes are not necessarily for the best, or have the effect of making the person less appropriate for my life. For example, I have a friend for whom religion is nearly a cult, and it unnerves me slightly. For I often do not feel like he is the same person I knew. His opinions no longer feel like his own, but are more akin to a doctrine of sorts. Keeping the hard line. I suppose that is how it goes sometimes, but I wonder if an extreme of any religion, no matter the purity of intent, is the correct path to pursue. Many of his friends seem to be asking questions similar to this and I am not sure anyone has a good answer. Perhaps there is no answer. Perhaps the only answer is that sometimes you can no longer be the same with a person as you were before.
(This post sort of meandered on through my stream of consciousness, but I felt it got cumbersome and was unlikely to be read in full. So, I cut about half of it out.)
I feel your pain, man. I absolutely cannot fall asleep without the aid of four different sedatives (and even then it only lasts a few hours) but my little lady can literally nod off sitting up straight.
ReplyDeleteI stopped trying to figure it out after she passed out on me in mid-explanation. Now I just let her sleep.
My husband can sleep anywhere at anytime and doesnt really need much to go on (he often travels to Japan will come home and not even miss the 24hours without sleep! I get tired 4 him! lol)
ReplyDeleteI need 8 hours of sleep every night but am a light sleeper. I cant fall back asleep once awoken either. THAT is a real curse! I cant tell you the problems of the world I have solved at 3am! I went through abotu a 2 year period of actually beginning my day at 4am. It just didnt make sense for me to toss and turn in bed. Luckily I am over that bit!
As for the changing thing... its sometimes neat to watch your friends grow.. take on families.. fancy jobs etc... other times its disheartening. I have a friend that I actually grieve a bit for... they have changed and our lives just dont interconnect like they used to. It will never be the same and I miss that... But.. thankfully there are plenty of other people in my life and a big new world to explore and meet others! No sense harping on what could have been
I hear you on the insomniac thing. Yawn.
ReplyDelete(You know what helps me? Exercise.)