"What's your name?"
I had been people watching. For on a night such as this, in a place such as I was, that seemed like the right thing to do. (I probably should have brought my camera, but I often only think of such things in retrospect.) There was a competition where women were dancing in their bras to receive the most cheers. There appeared to be a plethora of college students coming back to their small hometown to show each other what they had learned at school. Oh and of course, there was the alcohol flowing, making everyone just a little looser than they already were upon their entry into the establishment.
The woman addressing me now was the second or third in the span of an hour, despite my best efforts to put on an air of aloofness. She had previously been getting more or less attacked by two men likely looking to engage in some sort of physical entertainment by the end of the night, but neither seemed to have found a way behind her defenses. As she caught my eye and uttered her very first words to me, I wondered if she realized she didn't have a chance, and that she would do better to return to her exciting simple times with the two other suitors.
It's not that she wasn't attractive. Clearly, she had earned the affections of a few already, and the boldness she showed in approaching me, asking for my name, and throwing out the line, "You're so attractive; you could be with anyone in here. Why are you standing here alone?" was alluring. However, my mind was elsewhere and my heart was entirely unmoved.
I had been people watching. For on a night such as this, in a place such as I was, that seemed like the right thing to do. (I probably should have brought my camera, but I often only think of such things in retrospect.) There was a competition where women were dancing in their bras to receive the most cheers. There appeared to be a plethora of college students coming back to their small hometown to show each other what they had learned at school. Oh and of course, there was the alcohol flowing, making everyone just a little looser than they already were upon their entry into the establishment.
The woman addressing me now was the second or third in the span of an hour, despite my best efforts to put on an air of aloofness. She had previously been getting more or less attacked by two men likely looking to engage in some sort of physical entertainment by the end of the night, but neither seemed to have found a way behind her defenses. As she caught my eye and uttered her very first words to me, I wondered if she realized she didn't have a chance, and that she would do better to return to her exciting simple times with the two other suitors.
It's not that she wasn't attractive. Clearly, she had earned the affections of a few already, and the boldness she showed in approaching me, asking for my name, and throwing out the line, "You're so attractive; you could be with anyone in here. Why are you standing here alone?" was alluring. However, my mind was elsewhere and my heart was entirely unmoved.
Have you ever written a novel? You write extremely well and you hold the readers' attention. You should consider it.
ReplyDeleteMandi ~ No. I've never even really considered undertaking such an endeavor. But thank you. :-)
ReplyDelete