Soon I will be J, The Builder.
My only friends in the area are all moving, mostly owing to career changes. One has an abusive boss and she figured that seeing she was going to quit anyway, might as well move to D.C. or New York. Another had a boss that needed to have a life changing operation, from which she may never recover, and when the boss left, the office closed. A third will be finishing school in May and will likely move home. My friends are not only dwindling, they're almost non-existent, and as I have described before, my career does not exactly lend itself to meeting people my own age. Maybe I really should get a part time job at Barnes and Noble.
In any event, I decided to join Habitat for Humanity. I am not sure if my local chapter will have many people my own age but at least I will be getting out there and meeting people and giving back a little more. Besides I have very little experience with construction of any kind (other than landscaping) so maybe I can learn a thing or two. It could be a complete waste and I may wash out in the first month, but I've got to try something to meet people.
In the meantime, I still have plenty of books to read, places to go, movies to see, pictures to take, a gym that has missed me, networking functions to attend, and a job that keeps me busy. So I shouldn't be too bored. I suppose sometimes, it's not about boredom, but about loneliness. The quiet can be good for the introspection it affords, assuming you don't gnaw your arm off from boredom.
My only friends in the area are all moving, mostly owing to career changes. One has an abusive boss and she figured that seeing she was going to quit anyway, might as well move to D.C. or New York. Another had a boss that needed to have a life changing operation, from which she may never recover, and when the boss left, the office closed. A third will be finishing school in May and will likely move home. My friends are not only dwindling, they're almost non-existent, and as I have described before, my career does not exactly lend itself to meeting people my own age. Maybe I really should get a part time job at Barnes and Noble.
In any event, I decided to join Habitat for Humanity. I am not sure if my local chapter will have many people my own age but at least I will be getting out there and meeting people and giving back a little more. Besides I have very little experience with construction of any kind (other than landscaping) so maybe I can learn a thing or two. It could be a complete waste and I may wash out in the first month, but I've got to try something to meet people.
In the meantime, I still have plenty of books to read, places to go, movies to see, pictures to take, a gym that has missed me, networking functions to attend, and a job that keeps me busy. So I shouldn't be too bored. I suppose sometimes, it's not about boredom, but about loneliness. The quiet can be good for the introspection it affords, assuming you don't gnaw your arm off from boredom.
Aww! Well, you still could come to Oshvegas for a vacay--that's something to do.
ReplyDeleteBut, put on your drinking clogs cuz it's a wild ride.
Kudos on Habitat for Humanity.
Something tells me there is a part of yo that sort of likes the solitude.
ReplyDeleteSpecial K ~ I thought we were going to Vegas.
ReplyDeleteSass ~ Not particularly, but it doesn't bother me terribly. I'm my own best comapny, at times.
Habitat for Humanity. Sounds great.
ReplyDeleteI'm still your friend J.
ReplyDelete