Monday, December 12, 2005

What is the Meaning of This??

"So you're saying I should keep blogging just for you?"

"Now you're getting it."

The problem for me and blogging lately is that more and more of my life is becoming unfit for public consumption. It is difficult to talk about my life and times while still omitting the parts of it that I wish to remain private. This being said, it is also hard for me to begin my emailing crusade to all of my friends again as well. For I don't know exactly where I want to start. For those of you that still might be reading, I do have a couple interesting items to relate:

Last week I received a resume for the receptionist position we are trying to fill *again*. It came complete with a head shot and reassurances that the applicant was presently functioning as president of her own company and had created the online store front for said company. Hmmm.... I decided to investigate. Just as I suspected, it's a porn site. Good times. We could never hire her, though; Christmas parties would never be the same.

I was informed that several students, at the university I teach at, wanted a pro rata rebate of their tuition, to cover classes that were cancelled and never made up as a result of Hurricane Wilma. Now, mind you, I had been told by the University that if I could cover all the material, I did not have to make up the classes. However, the school did not want to have to refund any money and as I hadn't made up one of the classes - I had to hold a make up class, after the students had already completed the final exam, *and* give them an extra credit assignment.

You're kidding. What in the world should I assign? There were so many administrative difficulties, as I knew a number of the students were not going to be able to attend the make up class at all, and some would be out of town until the end of the year. Moreover, the finals were terrible. I mean, simply dreadful. Who knew so many people could not commit a coherent thought to paper?

I decided to assign a volunteer opportunity. Volunteer with one of these charitable organizations (like Habitat for Humanity) before the end of the year, and receive up to an additional 10 points (a full letter grade) on the final exam. It seemed fair. However, I have been getting emails from one student in particular, complaining that this assignment completely exceeds the scope of what I can assign for extra credit.

Oh, and the make up class that I was forced to hold, had a total of one attendee - one of my best students. Ridiculous.

6 comments:

  1. Who knew so many people could not commit a coherent thought to paper?

    {Waves arms in air wildly}

    Oooh, oooh, me, me, call on me!

    Yes, Jill?

    The answer to your question would be "ME! I knew! I'm reminded of it EVERY DAMN DAY."

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAYYYY You blogged.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i second that yay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. About damn time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is about time J dogg.

    I feel the same about not being able to share certain parts of your life. In fact some of the most important feelings/thoughts running through my brain are the ones I do not share. It would offend people I know that read my blog, cause drama between them, and reveal more than I'd like for them to know. So you're left with what--do what you do and write when you want about what you want.

    I've wrote a couple entries that I've never posted, but if I want I can go back in my archive and read them as drafts. That way I can remember exactly what is going on in my stupid head. :)

    I'm glad you're back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahh, Jill. If only my students were as beutifully adept as you.

    ReplyDelete

Google
WWW Search this site