Friday, October 21, 2005

The Waiting Game

There's only one thing worse than impending doom, and that's waiting for said doom. All week, the eyes in my office have been focused on the Southern Atlantic and the Gulf as we ponder when will it hit and how bad will it be. Even before its arrival, the storm has affected lives, with some people unable to now sell their homes (buyer's cannot acquire insurance when a hurricane is imminent), surprise vacations have been thwarted, and getting gas just to get to work and grocery shopping for the week have required a more substantial amount of effort.

Waiting is often hard. Waiting for the results of a test, waiting for that phone call, waiting for dinner to be ready, waiting for Charlize Theron to realize that she actually belongs with me, etc. It's tough stuff. Fortunately, I have had sickness, work, and other people's blogs to occupy my day. Unfortunately, some of my favorites have been absent.

I also have been reading more of Augusten Burroughs. I have to say that Dry is quite different from Running With Scissors. I think I like the former more, but I'm also happy that I struggled my way through the latter as well. The writing style in this one seems different, and definitely not as disturbing to me as the second one.

And then when my blogging pals, books, and other various forms of entertainment could not keep me occupied, I always had the bizarre news stories. For example, did you know that in Oklahoma City this week a man who had worked out a plea bargain of 30 years in prison for shooting someone during the commission of a robbery. Well our evil genius robber, being a fully devoted Celtics fan, requested that his sentence be extended to 33 years, as Larry Bird's jersey number was 33. You can't make this stuff up, folks.

My weekend plans are up in the air as there was going to be a hurricane arriving here smack dab in the middle of it. I am supposed to go to a Halloween party next Saturday so I should probably go and find myself an outfit at some point soon, and I would like to cook something nice and yummy. I would also like to perhaps lose the soar throat, cough, and congestion as well, but I may just be asking for too much there. I hope you all have wonderful weekends.

6 comments:

  1. good luck. every time i hear "naples florida" mentioned on the news, i think of you.

    do what we did, and just party through it. hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor J. I hope you feel better. Good luck with finding a costume. I'm having the same dilema myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let us know if you need the Astrodome to stay in Justin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you feel any better yet?
    I loved the little Charleze Theron comment you threw in there. Did you get my email? I haven't been able to check if you replied or not.

    I'm hopefully going as Veronica Corningstone along with the channel five news team. (is it five or four?)

    What did you end up doing this weekend?

    I know, I know--lots of questions. I need to be caught up to speed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you feel better; hope the hurricane has been gentle with you; hope you find a Halloween costume; but most of all, I hope that Charlize finally comes to her senses.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OOOOH, Kristin- that is a GREAT idea for a costume!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Google
WWW Search this site