Thursday, October 06, 2005

Notes

When I stop loving jazz, I know something is wrong in my life. When the smooth sounds of Duke, Armstrong, and Marsalis do not provide relief, and Coltrane, Corea, and Davis only bring discomfort, I know things have gotten pretty bad. If the crooning of Harry, Ella, and Jane fail to placate and satiate my desires, it is indeed bleak. (Ok, it's really not that bad at all, and I'm just being dramatic, but it adds to the effect.)

I spent much of my youth abhorring jazz, and confining my music selections to the likes of Beethoven, Mozart, Chopin, Vivaldi, Brahms, Bach, etc. Jazz was something my mother would force me to listen to, often to lull me to sleep. I never understood what happiness or pleasure she derived from this odd musical form. The only jazz I liked was swing (and it's still my favorite). The rest was all a waste. Fortunately, the musicians and record industry did not listen to my admonishments, and continued to plug away for all those weird people out there that still liked this crazy thing we call jazz.

Music, in all of its forms, is such an interesting art form, and one to which I happily devoted a substantial portion of my youth. It has the power to influence moods and set the tone for an event, a drive, or an evening. However, one's mood can also effect the music that is selected. For example, I had a friend in school who would listen to Sarah McLaughlin when she was feeling sad. Others might play the theme to Rocky, or some other motivational type of music when they feel defeated. Irrespective of taste, the average person is likely to have more interaction with this art form than any other.

There are certain times in my life where particular musicians, songs, or styles simply cannot touch me. Times where I need to stay away from them because I'm not feeling it. The songs are not lifting me and the notes are not touching me. Fortunately, these times are short lived, and I always end up ... singin' with a swing.

5 comments:

  1. Well put. I like your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i understand completely. i can always tell what kind of place i'm in emotionally by what i have in my cd player. more often than not, it's nine inch nails (catharsis), but every now and then i feel like i crave the optimism of the indigo girls.
    as for swing, well it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing. swing is sweet and it makes me wish i could dance. or at least be petite enough to be thrown over a shoulder like in those 1940s movies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You sound like you might like Madeleine Peyroux. (BTW, The Beatles are my jazz.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Music is my therapy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love jazz and swing! I doubt as much as you, but still!

    A couple years ago my alarm went off to Eye of the Tiger and oddly enough I was motivated to get up!

    ReplyDelete

Google
WWW Search this site