Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Leave of Absence

Why haven't you posted?

Well I've been thinking about this a lot, actually. In fact, while I was feeling it, Stephanie was blogging about it. I'm not really sure what got her to the same point I was, but it was really interesting to read a post that expressed almost exactly what I was feeling.

I have been seriously considering ending my blog as of late. It's nice to be out there, I guess. However, it is concerning to me that a client or a colleague would stumble upon my blog and learn all sorts of intimate details about my life. It is also concerning to me that it may offend someone I know that sees something I write here. I'm really not sure what to do. As some of you may know, this is something I've been struggling with for several months now.

8 comments:

  1. NO!!! Don't get rid or stop. If anything just take your picture down. How in the h e double hockey sticks will anyone know? Replace names with initials or something.

    I don't think you should.

    ReplyDelete
  2. J- I agree with Special K. We'll miss our J if you stop!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replace your name with a nickname, or something. Instead of a personal picture, use something that YOU think represents YOU. DON'T STOP! I like to check here every now and then!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i agree, you shouldn't stop.

    however, i don't agree with changing your name or "hiding" behind an anonymous identity. you should stand behind the things you say, whether those around you like it or not.
    and if you don't feel you can do that, maybe a handwritten personal journal is a better way to vent/express feelings.

    and we ALL censor ourselves to some degree. i know some bloggers that only talk about politics, or talk about their personal lives, but never discuss their significant other.
    it's okay not to be brutally open and honest with every single detail in your life.

    but if you're gonna say something, stand behind it - as j.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's funny you should post about this- I also read Stephanie's blog with the same reaction...
    I agree with everyone else- perhaps taking down your picture or something. I def. enjoy reading your blog, so I would hate for you to stop! But I completely understand how you are feeling! We all hold back some things- to protect ourselves and others... it's just natural! keep blogging! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I stand by what I wrote in my email, and just to prove it, I'm going to share it with the world.

    Of course my first inclination is to tell you to keep writing, as I still harbor all these Romantic Notions of the Inherent Good of Self-Expression. But I suppose you could pursue that good in a more anonymous fashion, if the thought of a client or colleague learning the intimacies of your life sends you into a tailspin. Have you considered complete anonymity?

    I would NOT stop writing just because I thought I might offend someone. (random "someones"); however, I do avoid certain stories and certain topics because some people in my life ought never to be privy to them. So if the things that you truly want to write about are personal/insulting to the people the stories are about, perhaps you should consider exploring fiction writing? Have you ever thought of that? I think this is a question that writers in all genres struggle with, but obviously bloggers are most susceptible because of the overtly autobiographical nature of the beast.

    Whether you decide to continue posting or not, I would definitely suggest at least continuing to TYPE them. Someday, you may have a file full of raw material that may suggest an alternate genre to you. And clearly, writing speaks to you in some way, so don't give it up.

    But on a selfish note, I think you should continue posting so I can continue reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wah! i like your blog. i agree with what's said, i think maybe you should just change your blog name or something. but tell your faithful readers about it of course!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I tried to respond to your last email last night, but due to alcohol content and little time.

    But seriously. You can't quit. Seriously. Once my email is up and runninnnnnn I have things to tell you.

    ReplyDelete

Google
WWW Search this site