Thursday, September 22, 2005

Hurricane Preparedness

"Are they crazy? Do they not understand there is a fucking hurricane coming? Do I just know better because I have lived through one now?"

These were the words of my friend that went through Charley last year, after I told her of folks I know in Houston and the surrounding areas that are staying for the wet and wild fun of Rita. What many people don't know about Charley is that it was a very small Category 5 hurricane. Powerful in force, but small in circumference. The other thing that many people do not know is it was supposed to strike Tampa, 90 miles north of where it actually ended up hitting. Hurricanes often do not hit where they are predicted to make landfall. For example, Andrew was not supposed to hit South Florida.

I was in Punta Gorda a few days following Charley, and the destruction was impressive. An entire electrical system, annihilated. Buildings, signs, trees, things that had been there for years were just gone, and would not be back for a long time to come, if ever. One of my friends lost her new house on her birthday. Happy birthday. My vocal friend from last night, lost a good portion of her house. However, the destruction from Charley was not limited to the one city. 60 miles south, in Naples, there were extensive power outages as well.

A hurricane seems to be one of those things that a lot of people simply do not understand until they live through one. It is not some rough weather. It is not just a rainy and windy day. It is something that can rip apart not only buildings and structures, but families, friends, and loved ones, as well, with no conscious or regret. My friends that survived Andrew knew people that they never heard from again.

After Katrina, I thought all of this would go without saying; that it would be clear to everyone that any storm capable of wreaking havoc and destruction through at least three states is not something you simply laugh in the face of. However, from what I am hearing, I may be mistaken.
To everyone in the Houston, Texas area, I wish you the best of luck, and I advise you now to get as far away from the possible storm track of Rita as possible. Worst case scenario, you get a nice vacation out of a storm that never came.

13 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more.

    Sass and Sarah leave!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are showing people on the news who refuse to evacuate because they want to see what it's like to live through a Category 5. Uhm, the down side is . . .

    Latest update at noon is it is heading further east. The bitch may slap us instead of hitting us head on

    ReplyDelete
  3. Admittedly, I didn't really understand hurricanes until Katrina.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am in Dallas, and we have received evacuees from New Orleans and now Houston at the hospital I work at. It has been so sad to listen to them recount their personal stories, of loss, triumph and struggle.
    Leave while u still breathe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unfortunately, a lot of people couldn't leave because the freeways weren't moving and gas supplies along the way were diminshed (Typical 3 hour drives extended to 14+ hours). If people cared more about each other and less about travel trailers and livestock (things that clogged up traffic, significantly); then more humans could have evacuated safely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It all just seems like a major disaster movie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't speak for anyone else, but for my part it wasn't laughing in the face of danger, it was a calculated risk. The ability to actually get somewhere safer/safely, the condition of my own home, my surroundings, and the hour-by-hour changing forecast all factored into my decision. I was prepared to leave if one or more factors indicated that I should.

    Clearly some people were not so careful in their consideration, and I think those are the people you've seen on TV.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Worst case scenario, you get a nice vacation out of a storm that never came."

    Exactly right, Justin. Maybe you have a future in meteorology?

    ReplyDelete
  9. let me explain a couple reasons why we chose to stay...

    first of all, those of us that live in houston, KNOW houston. we know which parts flood, and which parts don't. we know which structures are sturdy, and which are likely to get damaged.

    most of us HAVE been through hurricanes, even very serious ones, like alecia. so it's not like we're from NY or something and we're just sitting around like ignorant slobs. we're aware of what precautions need to be taken and how to go about it.

    plus, the storm began moving east on wednesday and thursday. we knew we would still get hit with rain and wind, but at least we would be on the 'clean side'.

    and while both katrina and rita were very serious storms, you simply can't compare houston to new orleans. houston is 90 miles inland, we're WAY above sea level, and our government knows what they're doing.

    i've gotten a lot of flack for staying, from friends and strangers alike, and i'm a little tired of it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. For all of you in Houston, I'm glad the storm missed you. I'm even happier that the storm was only a three when it finally did make landfall.

    To those of you that think you knew what the storm would do and that Houston just isn't New Orleans so it isn't the same, I think you're being pretty silly. The news said the last time category 5 hit the Houston area was in the 1900's. (Alcia, was only a Category 3).

    The storm didn't move east until the end. It was still predicted to hit the Houston area until several hours before landfall.

    Look at Mississippi. They aren't New Orleans, but they were still wiped out. Look at Miami. Look at Punta Gorda. Orlando is miles inland and they still had extensive damage from Charley.

    You got lucky. I'm really happy you all got lucky. (I think everyone should get lucky ... often.) But the only difference between you guys and the people who stayed in Mississippi and New Orleans as the storm was coming at them was you got lucky and they didn't.

    Sarah, thank you for ranting on my blog ... again. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. hehe, i guess i have a bad habit of doing that, huh? :)

    thing is, RARELY does a cat 5 storm hit the coastline. even katrina was a low 4 before it hit. and we KNEW going into this that rita would not hit as a 5. we were almost certain that it would hit as a 3. reason being is because a storm that is a cat 5 for longer than a day will 100% weaken. it cannot sustain that sort of power for too long.

    but again, comparing n.o. to houston isn't fair. n.o. is below sea level, their government is corrupt (therefore the funds sent to them to keep the city strong and sturdy is not allocated correctly) and they are ON the coast.
    houston is above sea level, our government is better, and we are 90 miles inland.

    ReplyDelete
  12. If there hadn't been random dry air pushing into Rita before she hit, it would have hit as a 4 or 5. In fact, the storm was so well organized, the eye wall kept reforming while the dry air was pumping into it. I know that it is hard for storms to maintain such organization for an extended period of time. However, I was really impressed by this one.

    Your final point as to New Orleans in comparison to Houston. I don't believe your facts can be properly substantiated. In fact, I'm not even certain to what you are referencing. However, it also ignores everything I said about Mississippi, Miami, Orlando, and Punta Gorda.

    Yeah, you do have a habit of voicing yourself here. :-) However, I am going to have to curtail this one if it takes the political turn I expect it to.

    ReplyDelete

Google
WWW Search this site