Monday, September 19, 2005

Faceless Strangers

They sit there quietly peering into my world. At times, I feel a little unnerved by the entire concept. There are people out there reading my blog on a constant basis, and I do not know who they are. I'm not just talking about the casual surfer that happens to stop by for a gander. I'm talking about my repeaters. The people that just cannot seem to get enough of whatever drivel I seem to be spouting for the day, but who never actually leave any trace of their presence. Who are these people, and what is their profound fascination with my life?

Through a series of linking, as I followed someone else's recent path through my blog, yes I can do that, and no, it's not as exciting as it sounds, I was reminded of random commenters that sprouted out of the woodwork when I broke up with my ex. Then just as suddenly, they all disappeared, or did they? Are they there still, merely lurking in the shadows, awaiting a new opportunity to voice their profound opinion?

Lurking and shadowy figures are the types of people you were taught to avoid as a child. Growing up, one never really thinks that they will become one of those people. The type of person you would move to the other side of the street from on your way home. You do not expect to become *that* person. The one that everyone quietly whispers about after they have passed. Yet, I know there are people out there watching my blog and my life with great interest, and they have become, in my world, exactly that.

19 comments:

  1. Wow. That was pretty deep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wrote two today! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think i'm one of those people. i'm just voyeuristic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I often wonder about that myself... I read yours! But I try to comment...

    sometimes I have random friends of friends make reference to my blog... it's always a little unnerving.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I doubt there is one post you've written that I haven't commented on. And fairly close to the beginning of your blog, because I remember I started writing mine around the same time!!

    Anyways, my tracker doesn't do all that. I'm pissed now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, now I'm freaked out. Could I be considered a lurker? Blog etiquette is an odd thing...

    I stumbled upon you through Kiki. I read your blog because I like your perspective on life and I am interested in how people around the world live their lives. NYC isn't actually the center of the universe!

    I hope you don't mind that I read and comment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was more thinking of people that read this blog religiously and don't comment, or who comment anonymously.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ewwwww....so now I feel like a stalker because I never comment. I do enjoy reading your blog though....and rest assured I am not a stalker...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great, J, now you're scaring away all your readers. You just want them to comment you comment whore you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I found your blog through Stephanie Klein's and I click on it frequently (along with many others so don't feel TOO special ;)) because I have a lot of slow times at work.

    I didn't really think much about blog etiquette. I enjoy reading other people's blogs, but I never feel like I have much to contribute comment-wise. But I can see why you'd be curious as to who your random readers are, so here ya go!

    ReplyDelete
  11. why worry about how many people comment?

    ReplyDelete
  12. am I more cool because I do this?

    ReplyDelete
  13. or this????

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sometimes I'll read someone's blog pretty regularly and won't (often) leave a comment because I just don't feel I can think of anything to say that seems worth sharing... but I am still interested in reading what this person wrote. I imagine there are others who feel the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This has nothing to do with the number of comments I get. Jane, seems to get it. Thanks, Jane.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Violet, I have no problem with you reading and commenting. It does disturb me a little, however, when I will look and see people that have visited my blog well over 400 times, and it doesn't seem I have ever heard from them.

    Actually, the thing that amuses me the most is that I posted two times the day I posted this, and it would appear only Special K noticed the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for the reassurance :o)

    I guess some posts just push people's buttons more than others... (re: your posting 2x that day but getting feedback only on one). I always find it interesting what people respond to and what falls flat.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Last night while I was going through your garbage for the third time this week, wearing that shirt you left in the back seat of your car and that I stole while you ran into the gas station, I wondered to myself if I was one of "those" people too.

    Naahh.

    ReplyDelete

Google
WWW Search this site