Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Job History

Fortunately, I was quickly offered a new job in Coral Gables, Florida. After having spent eight years of my life there studying, I really did not want to go back. I do not like the Miami atmosphere. I find it too superficial, dirty, congested, and annoying. However, the job was there, and I definitely needed a job. The firm had been looking for someone with three or four years experience, but they liked me and decided to give me a chance. They started me on a temporary basis - try me for thirty days, if you don't like me you can return me ... sort of deal. Within a week or two they were impressed enough to hire me.

There were some minor problems with that job. Some of the problems I was not even aware of until after I left the firm, and had a chance to learn more. However, overall, I think it was a great firm for me to learn at. The problem was that I was not really a good fit for what they needed. They needed someone they did not have to train (someone with three to four years experience) and I only really ever got along with one of the partners (in a two partner firm). The partner I did get along with was really cool, and a lot of fun, but the other partner - from what I am told - never got along with a male associate at the firm. After about eight or nine months I parted ways with the firm. They confessed that they really lacked the time to train me, and I was miserable there. The partner I liked, who I worked with most of the time did tell me I was one of the smartest people he had ever met and thought I was advanced beyond my years in the practice of law. I never knew how sincere he was in this assessment until I heard him give a reference for me over the speaker phone at my next firm - as my stomach was in knots in fear.

I remained unemployed for months. Praying I would find a way to afford my rent and find a way to eat. It was very disconcerting. See you have to understand, I finished in the top of my class in law school. I was on law review, I was a teaching assistant, I had scholarships and was awarded fellowships. I was accepted to the two top tax programs in the country, and performed quite well there as well. However, the market was just plain terrible. First there was 9/11 and then there was Enron and Worldcom. The demise of Arthur Anderson had flooded the market with experienced tax professionals. Finally, I found a job in Naples. (It was at this interview that the partner I used to work for gave me the great reference on the speaker phone as I held my breath.) Unfortunately, this firm was almost as bad as the one in Tampa. While I was there, he went through three other associates. One quit within two weeks of his arrival. It really was that bad. The attorney that ran the firm tried to do too much, and he simply was not qualified for all the areas in which he practiced. There were so many mistakes made in that firm, and he would never listen to anyone else about how to handle matters. I feel really bad for many of his clients.

My girlfriend, at the time, had taken a job promotion and was moving anyway, and I wanted to be near her, and my job in Naples was terrible, and I had been advised by the Florida Bar, yet again, to get out and get out soon. So despite my $12,000 raise and large bonus, I left for my present job, with a pay cut, in Boca Raton (again that same partner gave me an amazing reference). I was really nervous when I took this job because it was another small firm and I had been burned so many times before - ending up with absolutely terrible jobs. The last thing I wanted was to arrive here, only to experience more of the same.

Fortunately, while I lost my girlfriend, and have few friends to speak of in this city, I really did wind up at great firm.

9 comments:

  1. Well, we count our blessings how and where we find them, eh? I follow these goings-on with interest because I work at a law firm myself, and keep flirting with the idea of lawschool myself. Needless to say, I WON'T be choosing tax law if I do. Boca is pretty nice though---I stayed there several years ago at a place called the Resort and Club. Posh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So you won't be moving to Wisconsin? Is this your way of letting me down?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ariel ~ At some point, I will do a post on law school for you.

    Special K ~ It's just all about you, huh? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I'd like to think that...but I'm assuming your answer is no?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Special K ~ You funny. I was just detailing my work history is all. No worries. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So then you areeeeeeeee moving to Wisconsin?

    Am I hearing this right????

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have found that jobs are a dime a dozen. What's the old addage? No one ever said on their tombstone if only they worked another 1200 gazillion hours. At the end of the day my job is not going to comfort me. It may help me buy more shoes and cute tops but it won't give me a hug or kick me in the tush when I need an emotional pick me up. None the less glad to hear you found a good company where you enjoy going to work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous, I have found that jobs can be easily found ... sometimes. However, finding a good job that you like can be really tough. I do, however, agree with you that friends and loved ones are more important (something that my ex and I did not see eye to eye on), but I was looking on the bright side.

    Can I ask a question? Why do people post as "Anonymous" on Blogger? It even offers a place for you to type in a name, any name. Why be "Anonymous"?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Because I was on vacation

    ReplyDelete

Google
WWW Search this site