Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Hodge Podge

I'm not bothered when someone messes up with the complicated grammatical rules, like the difference between "awhile", which is an adverb and "a while", which is used when "while" is an object. It's when people get the simple rules, the ones that you were taught in grade school, wrong. For example, "cannot" is one word; there are three different varieties of the word "to" - two (the number), too (indicating excess or in addition; also), and to (the preposition); and, quiet and quite are two entirely different words with two entirely different meanings.

The little things are the ones that just drive me insane, but what bothers me even more is when it is not a one time occurrence. It is not like the person misspelled it once, oops, whatever. They actually consistently get it wrong, and show no signs of ever improving. It just boggles my mind. How do these people hold a steady job? They have college degrees? What institution possibly granted them the degree and can I petition to have it revoked? Alright, so it's not that bad, but the more I see of it, the more it just bugs the bejeebers out of me. So much so that I end up ranting about it on my own blog. Sad.

Moving on to a much more ... uplifting subject, I learned something about Flickr yesterday from reading Chris' blog. Apparently, if you search through Flickr correctly you can find all sorts of exceptionally naughty pictures. Not only that, people have created Websites devoted to finding and hosting just these types of pictures! For example, "flickrbooty, chicksnbreasts, and flickrchicks. I was astounded. I had thought Flickr's only real purpose was so that I could scope out beautiful scarlet haired female bloggers, in search of those haunting eyes and adorable freckles, but no, there's an even more exciting, if slightly unnerving, use!

My weekend lacked all excitement as Dennis the Menace ruined all my plans. It was terrible. Not only that, I didn't even get any rain after Friday, except on Saturday night. So it wasn't like I could use the rain as an excuse for the lazy weekend. I did experience the most unbearable humidity in recent memory, and watched several really good movies, including "The Astronaut's Wife" (which I thought would suck), "Pleasantville", "Monster" (it was the first movie in which I didn't think Charlize was hot), and "Fantastic 4" (of course). I also played some pool at this local little spot that a friend of mine and I discovered about a month ago. Excellent atmosphere. Overall, however, my weekend left a lot to be desired.

10 comments:

  1. "Is sloppiness in speech caused by ignorance or apathy? I don't know and I don't care." --William Safire

    ReplyDelete
  2. Urgh. The to,too,two thing drives me insaneeeeeeeeeeeeee.

    I saw Dark Water. It sucked. Well kinda.

    ReplyDelete
  3. a misspelling or grammatical error can be annoying, yes, but not to the point that i'm questioning the person's place in society...
    wound a little tight maybe? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, like I said, it isn't that bad and it's all said in jest, but.... It can get to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks fore the post. I two hate it when ingnorant persons uses the English language with out the good form of the words and mispelings drive me crazy. Me thinks they should all have too go back too school.

    And thanks for the good links. They make nice eye candy for an otherwise boring day in the office!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Sarah. Grammatical errors annoy me as well, but it's a little extreme to question the person's intelligence or ability to hold down a job. There are many people that aren't the best with grammar, but excel in other areas that maybe, J, you aren't good at yourself. Would you like said person to question your intelligence if the roles were reversed?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Quick lock up the President.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tao ~ I think I already addressed your point when I replied to Sarah's comment. However, I really have no problem with random people questioning my intelligence. Incidentally, people judge you based on your writing and ability to speak all the time. If you cannot communicate the brilliant ideas in your head, it's really hard to judge them.

    Sass ~ Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like to read your blog because the same things that annoy you also annoy my husband because my husband is an accountant & a lawyer (double dork) and a neat freak (DORK). You give me great ideas of ways to annoy him. It's cool.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chancelb ~ Glad I could help. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Google
WWW Search this site