Sunday, July 31, 2005

Another one by David Sedaris

Those of you who read this blog regularly, know my love for David Sedaris. One of the greatest presents I ever received was his book, "Me Talk Pretty One Day". As she handed it to me, she asked, "If I buy you a book do you promise to read it?" I'm standing there thinking, "Is this a trick question? Is she serious? Does she really think I wouldn't read a book for her?" I answer quickly, "Yes. Absolutely." She bought me the book. Isn't she great? When I read the book, which she was still really shocked that I did, I remember the love creeping through my body. The wit, the humor, the openness and honesty. What a great book.

David recently did a piece for The New Yorker. You should check it out. Perhaps you too will fall in love with this little man with a very humorous family, and a knack for relating anecdotes.

4 comments:

  1. I haven't read any of his books yet - But I do like his description of his friend laying the coat on the chair "as if it were cold"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been hearing about all these great books so maybe I should check into this one.
    I need to start reading (other than blogs) before my brain turns to mush.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why didn't you stay with the girl who gave you the David Sedaris book, Justin? She sounds like she could have been the one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recommend Augusten Burroughs (if you don't already know him). If you like David Sedaris, you would most probably like him too. Try the book called Running with Scissors =)

    ReplyDelete

Google
WWW Search this site