Tuesday, May 24, 2005

The Game

I remember once my friend compared this girl to a video game. Something about guys having to keep putting quarters in her to see how far they can get. Somehow this amused her tremendously. I repeated the comment to a girl and it went really badly. I told me friend what had happened and her cried, "You did what!? You can't just go around doing that to just any girl." That's when I realized, I was really in trouble.

Through most of college, I was single. However, given the dating pool, I felt I was better off for it anyway. When my friend and roommate finally moved away from Miami, Florida, he told me it was a shame we had not gone somewhere else for school because we had wasted some of our best years on some of the most materialistic and mean women ever. I thought he was probably right, but when I went to a different university for my advanced degree, I knew he was right. It was ok. I had so many friends to keep me occupied that it really never bothered me. When I did have a girlfriend she would get jealous of my female friends and think I was sleeping with them. Suddenly I lost my autonomy and my freedom. Besides, I was still figuring myself out. There was no real necessity to have a girlfriend.

After I finished school, I suddenly had about a tenth of the friends to hang out with. They were scattered throughout the country, and in some cases the world. The friends I did have worked terrible hours or had significant others and so I didn't see them as much. I decided that I now needed a girlfriend, and that I was ready to have one. I had finished my degrees, I had a solid career ahead of me, things were looking up and I was tired of just hanging out with myself at the end of the day. However, I wanted a cool girlfriend. I wanted one that was fun to hangout with, someone that I would hangout with even if I wasn't sleeping with her. I had this theory - beauty fades, but personality is forever. So I had to genuinely like the person that I was with for more than their body. Don't get me wrong, there had to be some sort of physical attractiveness, but it was not high on my list. She only had to be "cute".

The problem was that I don't like hanging out with that many people consistently, and the ones that I did like hanging out with were already my friends, and I was not going to try and convert a friend into a girlfriend. That was just not an option, which may or may not be wise. Well there was always that one girl that became my friend after I tried to date her for two years, I would have totally converted that one, but she was too busy sending me mixed messages. For example, one day after I listed my requirements for a girlfriend, she asked me, "so which one of those qualities don't I have?" What an unfair question. The other problem was that I didn't meet women my own age through work or something like that. I am about half the age of most people I work with so it's hard to have office romances or be introduced to young friends of co-workers when their young friends are 40.

As I reflect upon all of this, I wonder how it will all shake out in the end. I am not really sure, but I think I definitely need to find some extracurricular social activities to meet new friends and such. Unfortunately, I really have no idea where I will find the time, nor which ones I should join. A lot of the clubs I look into joining are also filled with old people. Where did all the young people go? I think they must all be chained to desks slaving away, and not joining clubs.

This post was partially inspired by Kiki.

14 comments:

  1. I love it that I partially inspired you J!!!!

    All the young people go to bars and clubs and most of them you don't want to start a relationship with because you'd meet them at a bar or a club. Maybe you should hang out a Borders with a nice big cup of joe and your laptop and Ms. Right will stumble upon you and true love will ensue....
    Nice idea right?
    I would join a wine tasting club if I knew of one and I'm young...maybe that's an idea?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you don't know where you will find the time for extracurricular social activities, where will you find the time for a budding romance?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm fairly new to your blog, J, but is insulting your readers' intelligence something we can regularly expect from you? It's a childish habit that reflects ugliness onto yourself, not your intended target.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tao says I was mean when I first replied to Anonymous' question. I am still not sure how I was mean. I honestly thought the answer to Anonymous' question was obvious.

    I would think anyone that has ever been in a relationship would have been able to figure that answer out for themselves, unless all of their relationships have involved doing new and different things that they didn't do or didn't want to do to begin with. Maybe that's an incorrect assumption. So apparently because I said that I thought the answer to the question was obvious, I'm mean. So, I'm sorry.

    The following is my original, and honest answer, unedited:

    Well you see I could probably fit the budding romance into a lot of things I already do currently. Ideally, the person I am with will have similar interests as me. We could go to things - like shows and such that I would go to anyway. We could go places together, and all of that. An extracurricular activity is something on top of everything else, whereas a relationship can be more incorporated into things I already do or like doing. However, that's pretty obvious and I'm disappointed in the question.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think it was bad.You're just being honest and logical.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wonder if Tao will ever tell us his blog site....?

    Chained to the desk, i know a lot of people who at the end of the day they unlock the shackles and go home. Once they are home they lack the energy and motivation to get out and join civilization. Lord knows I am guilty at times.

    I can honestly say I have met a lot of my friends doing various things as the club thing never worked for me either
    Here's a list.
    1. An ex boyfriend hit on her
    2. In the elevator (it's a guy)
    3. They gym
    4. Barbecues
    5. Tripping and falling flat on my face while jogging (klutz)
    6. parties/ bars
    7. Borders
    8. Boat trips -

    You gave me an idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kiki always partially inspires me too! I wish you luck in your endeavor to meet new people. I, too, have that same problem. Want to meet some new people, but too busy working or too exhausted to do anything about it. I just figure it will all work out in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfect Solution:
    Since you and Kiki seem to admire each other so much, I think it would be great if the two of you could somehow get together!

    ReplyDelete
  9. J, let me respond by clarifying. Your answer to Anonymous's question was nicely detailed---however, it was this sentence, "However, that's pretty obvious and I'm disappointed in the question." that struck a nerve with me. If a person shows genuine interest in your life and wants to hear an answer from you, why hurt that person's feelings by saying that you're disappointed in the question (even if you are?). You've said repeatedly that you're interested in meeting new people, and I applaud that. I would hope that you don't snuff new people in your real life the same way you did Anonymous. No one likes to be made to feel small and you might find that being a bit more diplomatic and kind when dealing with people will go a long way towards having people WANT to be around you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sass---I don't have a blog---I must have made a mistake when I registered on this site and my Tao has a link when it actually shouldn't! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tao, it's too bad that you don't have a blog..I enjoy your comments, specifically about being nicer in order to have people WANT to be around you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How did Kiki partially inspire you, J? You never commented on my last comment from that extremely hot topic from days ago. I thought that Kiki's "it'll all work out" was a cliche but she did not get any negative feedback on that. On the topic of cliches still, I think they are important little pieces of our culture and history. They imply some truth and meaning far deeper than their initial pulse. Anyone else have an opinion on common historical phrases or cliches? I wanted to comment on this topic earlier but I just got back from out of town! I hope everyone does not mind the flashback!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Gretta, I appreciate the support! :)

    Brittany, you brought up a good subject! I agree with you that cliches have deep and significant meanings. From my last few comments concerning J and Anonymous, I'm sure everyone can guess that I'm partial to 'treat others as you'd like to be treated'.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yeah, Brittany, I posted such a comment (regarding cliches) at the end of the previous blog entry. I will normally post responses on the posts they apply to, in order to maintain a clear record.

    ReplyDelete

Google
WWW Search this site