Before this blog was a blog it was a weekly email to my friends. I did this for two reasons: one, my friends were important to me and I valued their opinions and thoughts, and two, I didn't want to have to contend with what some bloggers have to contend with everyday, mean people posting comments. Just look at the comments to this recent post and you'll see what I mean. After much convincing, I started a blog, but one of the main reasons I started it was because the emails became a sort of journal for me, and every time my hard drive crashed, I lost two or more years of my life. I am not sure a blog will be any more permanent, but it's worth a shot.
I did not start a blog to meet people. I did not start a blog to please people. If I am around people that I constantly have to please or worry about offending, then I won't be around them for very long. My happiness is not determined by how much I can please others. In my opinion, no one's should be. "Do unto others as you would have done unto you."? Bullshit. Try hanging out with a masochist and see how far that rule gets you. "Do unto others as they would like to have done unto them."? More krap. Hang out with the abusive bastard and see where that rule lands you. The only possible rule out there is live your life to be happy. Yes, there will be consequences to your actions, both positive and negative, but you cannot live your life in a vain attempt to please everyone because you can't please all the people all the time.
If you don't like my blog; if you don't like what I say or how I say it, then go read someone else's. There is no shortage of blogs. Hell, start your own. Clearly, based on some of your more recent comments, some of you would like to have your own blogs to discuss such things as cliches, and their profound import.
I was asked a, presumably, honest question by Anonymous in his comment to my last post, and I gave a very honest answer. I explained why I said what I said. If this does not meet your expectations of how you want me to act like or how you think I should behave, then too bad. I am not writing here to please you or anyone else. I don't even know you.
If you had clicked on the link that I supplied in my previous post, you would have seen that one of Kiki's most recent posts was about relationships and her having been in them for about as long as she can remember. This inspired me to write my last post. That is how it was inspired. Kiki's comment was a cliche, but it was supportive and it was after we had already talked about what happened much earlier. Finally, Kiki has a boyfriend, who she is extremely happy with. The mere fact that we get along should not bug anyone. Obviously, my "meanness" has not kept me from making a friend or two.
So there it is. I ain't changing to please you. My blog is what it is. It is mine, and only mine. You comments are mine to dispose of as I see fit. If you don't like it, look elsewhere, or start your own.
I did not start a blog to meet people. I did not start a blog to please people. If I am around people that I constantly have to please or worry about offending, then I won't be around them for very long. My happiness is not determined by how much I can please others. In my opinion, no one's should be. "Do unto others as you would have done unto you."? Bullshit. Try hanging out with a masochist and see how far that rule gets you. "Do unto others as they would like to have done unto them."? More krap. Hang out with the abusive bastard and see where that rule lands you. The only possible rule out there is live your life to be happy. Yes, there will be consequences to your actions, both positive and negative, but you cannot live your life in a vain attempt to please everyone because you can't please all the people all the time.
If you don't like my blog; if you don't like what I say or how I say it, then go read someone else's. There is no shortage of blogs. Hell, start your own. Clearly, based on some of your more recent comments, some of you would like to have your own blogs to discuss such things as cliches, and their profound import.
I was asked a, presumably, honest question by Anonymous in his comment to my last post, and I gave a very honest answer. I explained why I said what I said. If this does not meet your expectations of how you want me to act like or how you think I should behave, then too bad. I am not writing here to please you or anyone else. I don't even know you.
If you had clicked on the link that I supplied in my previous post, you would have seen that one of Kiki's most recent posts was about relationships and her having been in them for about as long as she can remember. This inspired me to write my last post. That is how it was inspired. Kiki's comment was a cliche, but it was supportive and it was after we had already talked about what happened much earlier. Finally, Kiki has a boyfriend, who she is extremely happy with. The mere fact that we get along should not bug anyone. Obviously, my "meanness" has not kept me from making a friend or two.
So there it is. I ain't changing to please you. My blog is what it is. It is mine, and only mine. You comments are mine to dispose of as I see fit. If you don't like it, look elsewhere, or start your own.
OMG J, you are my hero! I loved this post because I was thinking the exact same thing.
ReplyDeleteTwo snaps up and a circle
ReplyDeleteangryman DOT COM!
ReplyDeletej/k... this is totally what i was thinking yesterday when my post hit a nerve with some readers and all of a sudden had some angry "anonymous" comments. i didn't mind the debate taking place, but a few personal attacks were made, and i thought "geez, whose website is this?"
go away mean people.
j: You're in a turmoil. I find it hard to believe that you only write a blog because it's more permanent than e-mails. Your blog is being read by more than just your e-mail friends. I happened to stumble upon it; got interested in it since my "major break-up" happened some time ago and I found it hard to go on for a very lengthy period of time. I was interested in other people's viewpoints and therefore really enjoy reading your comment section.
ReplyDeleteIf you didn't want comments and replies, you wouldn't be writing at all. If you don't like the comments, don't read them. No one is forcing you to do so. We write blogs so we can get different thoughts and opinions, however it appears that whatever you say is the gospel and if anyone dares to disagree with you, they're contemptible. A good diary, just for yourself, might assist!
It appears that since Kiki's cliche pleased you, that one was o.k...do you only accept cliche's that you agree with? I'm asking an honest question so perhaps you can reply with an honest answer.
You definitely won't like this comment but here goes: Your first paragraph indicates to me that you only want to please yourself and to hell with everyone else.
G, I already responded to your Kiki point. It's in the post.
ReplyDeleteI absoluetly only maintain this blog for my friends, and because it is more permanent. Believe or don't. I don't care.
You read my first paragraph exactly right. It's not my job to please everyone or anyone else. It's not my job to make others happy. It's their job.
J, your blog is insightful and honest. Don't take your critics seriously. Remember, you are your own worst critic. Write for the only person who really matters - YOU.
ReplyDeleteIs G Gretta? Because if so I was wondering...Do you know Gretta, J? She seems so bitter for being such a complete stranger. Maybe thats just the way she is?
ReplyDeleteI don't know a Gretta, but I could know her and she is using a different name? She doesn't really remind me of anyone I know though.
ReplyDeleteG: "If you don't like the comments, don't read them. No one is forcing you to do so."
ReplyDeleteUm, yeah they are! It's HIS site! shouldn't it be the other way around?
And I'm sure J doesn't mind a differing point of view or even a friendly disbute. it's the rude and angry comments that get a blogger upset.
some blogs are meant for that purpose... but most (like us) are meant for friends to hear the latest on your life, as well as a chance to vent, disclose or discuss recent going-ons in your life.
but again, my pet peeve is the anonymous poster. if you're going to act all high and mighty with your point, then fess up and admit who you are.
or as j said, get a blog of your own!
Thanks J...appreciated your honest answer.
ReplyDeleteJ, your blog is listed as a link of interest on other peoples' blogs. From time to time you're going to have curious people stumbling in here and reading about your life and making comments. Even if your blog is meant only for your friends, it's inevitable for strangers to put their two cents in too.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Tao. My feelings precisely.
ReplyDeleteIt is appropriate to point out that J has identified himself as a 'comment whore'. As such, I feel that he should be prepared to receive comments from 'good' clients as well as 'bad' clients, including those that ignore the common courtesy of providing the lube when they want to go at it hard and rough. As this is a public forum, rather than the semiprivate email forum he mentioned, total strangers can indeed wander in and read (and comment on) what J has to say. I don't know what measure of control is provided to 'filter' or selectively admit people to post on this blog, but assuming there is none, J has no control over what comments are posted here any more so than the readers that post comments have over what J has to say.
ReplyDeleteBe that as it may, he is also not responsible for the reactions of anyone reading the material he posts (including his responses), nor for dealing with them in a way that makes them feel good about themselves, what they have to say, etc. He only has control over what he says, and the way in which he says it. Seems to me that the back and forth commenting on the earlier issues was clearly sensitive to J, and so he responded as such, with an honest reaction. Take it or leave it.
Kudos to J for that, and for pointing out that this is HIS forum, and he didn't create it to be nice to anyone or to make friends. Such side effects may occur as a result of the transactions in this forum, but I'm glad he's staying true to its purpose, and not pandering to anyone that comes on here with something to say.
I mean no disrespect to anyone that posts here, or who reads what's posted here. Just keep in mind that your transmission of a message only affects someone else's reception of that message, in that they receive it where they wouldn't have before. It doesn't affect how they process the message, or how or whether or when they respond to the message, i.e. your transmission does not (necessarily) affect someone else's transmission or your reception.
The Examiner said: "I'm glad he's staying true to its purpose, and not pandering to anyone that comes on here with something to say."
ReplyDeleteUh huh, yep, I like that too. J deserves credit for staying true to his purpose, if nothing else. If he wanted to argue about a subject, I'm sure he'd start another separate blog for that purpose, and stay true to it there too.