So there I am cruising the Web and passing by some of my favorite virtual haunts, and there I find a story about a guy that is living in a Starbucks. This totally reminds me of something my friend Doug would do. In any event, this landed me on another person's blog. Ok, I know what you are all thinking: 1) my mad skillz at linking just rocks and makes my entries all that more interesting to read ... seriously, I know you are thinking this, and 2) what the hell do we care? Well ... you probably don't, but I'm getting to a point here, and it's always wildly exciting when I get to my point. Yeah, I know you aren't very excited by it but I know you are at least glad for the pain of my journey to be finally over. :-)
So I was intrigued by this story and I thought I would read more. Find answers to some of my burning questions like who are these people that conducted this interview? And how the heck did they stumble upon some random kid living in a Starbucks? In any event, the more I read of this Stephanie Klein's blog the more my brain started to get blurry. It was either in direct relation to the reading or whatever I had eaten for lunch. (I think it was a combination.) I felt that she sounded familiar ... her tone. She sounded educated. How educated? I wasn't sure, but smarter than a lot of the other bloggers I have read out there. However, she also sounded like some friends that I have that are mildly off and like a Sex and The City episode with her periodic outbursts of open female sexuality. I also learned that she had a book deal - for two books! What to make of it all.
I was struck by the fact that a lot of her blog reminded me quite a bit of another blog I had read once. That one was by Jessica Cutler, a D.C. intern that allegedly had several torrid encounters with some high ranking government officials (ooo la la) and spoke rather openly about it. (There I go with my snazzy links again.) She also had her smatterings of fame, in a Playboy pictorial, which I think you may be able to locate at Uselessjunk.com. This got me to thinking, what do these people have in common? I dove deeper and found out that this Stephanie woman had been pregnant when she discovered her husband had been cheating on her. (Personally though, she didn't seem to trust him before their marriage (assuming I'm following her posts correctly) so I think she probably should have seen it coming.) Both bloggers seemed to be somewhat intelligent, and just talking openly and blatantly about sex. Huh. Sex and The City did that too. Jessica's was, generally, more centered around sex, and Stephanie's seemed to have more to it. However, it seemed, overall, that what I noticed most about her writing was that it was an intelligent woman being edgy and raw about topics that women are conventionally less than open about ... usually.
I'm still left pondering the why of it all. Whether she is merely seeking attention or approval still and that's what fuels her topics and her blogging. Whether she is just a part of some quiet underlying sexual revolution of women. I have read articles, as of late, that talk about studies showing that more intelligent women are having a harder time finding mates. Perhaps they are unsatisfied with more men, wanting a man more successful or intelligent or driven than them may limit their dating pool overall. Perhaps they simply lack the time to date given their careers. Perhaps there are all kinds of other issues up there. Maybe the very things that motivate a woman to be that successful make her less attractive to a segment of the male population. Who knows. My personal assessment of Stephanie had to end at this question as I have never met her. I mean it would be fine of me to say that she is attention starved and still desperately seeks male approval or some such stupid psycho-analysis bullshit, but it is unclear. I have no idea and at the end of the day it really didn't matter. Besides, irrespective of why she does it, I appreciate that she does it as I respect open and honest people.
So then I got back to the meat of the matter. What makes these women so popular? What made the show that popular? Are there just a ton of women wanting permission to be that edgy? Are they just saying what other women are thinking? I have posed this question to some of my friends, and I got minimal response. Lisa doesn't like Stephanie's blog and so refuses to read it. She got to the front page saw "Greek Tragedy" and "More Pictures of Me", thought "ick" and ran away. She didn't want to be trapped on some whoa-is-me blog listening to some chick bitch and moan about how terrible her life is. An understandable reaction. I think she was also somewhat put out at the openness of the writing style. However, she was able to confirm to me that her original interest with Sex and The City and such, was strongly related to intelligent women discussing topics that they were formerly forbidden by society to discuss in the open, and not doing it in a way that made them sluts.
So I leave it to you, my faithful ... and not so faithful readers, to figure out for yourselves what's happening here.
I got a new random person to comment on my blog. WOOO HOOO!! I am such a comment whore.
So I was intrigued by this story and I thought I would read more. Find answers to some of my burning questions like who are these people that conducted this interview? And how the heck did they stumble upon some random kid living in a Starbucks? In any event, the more I read of this Stephanie Klein's blog the more my brain started to get blurry. It was either in direct relation to the reading or whatever I had eaten for lunch. (I think it was a combination.) I felt that she sounded familiar ... her tone. She sounded educated. How educated? I wasn't sure, but smarter than a lot of the other bloggers I have read out there. However, she also sounded like some friends that I have that are mildly off and like a Sex and The City episode with her periodic outbursts of open female sexuality. I also learned that she had a book deal - for two books! What to make of it all.
I was struck by the fact that a lot of her blog reminded me quite a bit of another blog I had read once. That one was by Jessica Cutler, a D.C. intern that allegedly had several torrid encounters with some high ranking government officials (ooo la la) and spoke rather openly about it. (There I go with my snazzy links again.) She also had her smatterings of fame, in a Playboy pictorial, which I think you may be able to locate at Uselessjunk.com. This got me to thinking, what do these people have in common? I dove deeper and found out that this Stephanie woman had been pregnant when she discovered her husband had been cheating on her. (Personally though, she didn't seem to trust him before their marriage (assuming I'm following her posts correctly) so I think she probably should have seen it coming.) Both bloggers seemed to be somewhat intelligent, and just talking openly and blatantly about sex. Huh. Sex and The City did that too. Jessica's was, generally, more centered around sex, and Stephanie's seemed to have more to it. However, it seemed, overall, that what I noticed most about her writing was that it was an intelligent woman being edgy and raw about topics that women are conventionally less than open about ... usually.
I'm still left pondering the why of it all. Whether she is merely seeking attention or approval still and that's what fuels her topics and her blogging. Whether she is just a part of some quiet underlying sexual revolution of women. I have read articles, as of late, that talk about studies showing that more intelligent women are having a harder time finding mates. Perhaps they are unsatisfied with more men, wanting a man more successful or intelligent or driven than them may limit their dating pool overall. Perhaps they simply lack the time to date given their careers. Perhaps there are all kinds of other issues up there. Maybe the very things that motivate a woman to be that successful make her less attractive to a segment of the male population. Who knows. My personal assessment of Stephanie had to end at this question as I have never met her. I mean it would be fine of me to say that she is attention starved and still desperately seeks male approval or some such stupid psycho-analysis bullshit, but it is unclear. I have no idea and at the end of the day it really didn't matter. Besides, irrespective of why she does it, I appreciate that she does it as I respect open and honest people.
So then I got back to the meat of the matter. What makes these women so popular? What made the show that popular? Are there just a ton of women wanting permission to be that edgy? Are they just saying what other women are thinking? I have posed this question to some of my friends, and I got minimal response. Lisa doesn't like Stephanie's blog and so refuses to read it. She got to the front page saw "Greek Tragedy" and "More Pictures of Me", thought "ick" and ran away. She didn't want to be trapped on some whoa-is-me blog listening to some chick bitch and moan about how terrible her life is. An understandable reaction. I think she was also somewhat put out at the openness of the writing style. However, she was able to confirm to me that her original interest with Sex and The City and such, was strongly related to intelligent women discussing topics that they were formerly forbidden by society to discuss in the open, and not doing it in a way that made them sluts.
So I leave it to you, my faithful ... and not so faithful readers, to figure out for yourselves what's happening here.
I got a new random person to comment on my blog. WOOO HOOO!! I am such a comment whore.
Hey (I think I'm the random person you spoke of)! I came across the greek tragedy blog a few weeks ago and I'm addicted to it like caffeine. If you go through it a little more I think you'll find her to be more diverse. She is a photographer so there are many pictures of all sorts of things-> including her. But I don't think she's an attention monger or anything. A lot of her stories hit home for a lot of 20-something girls-including myself-hence my addiction!! Thanks for your comments on my blog!! :)
ReplyDeleteI decided to read that Washingtonienne blog thingeh you linked too. Very interesting read.
ReplyDeleteYay for random commenters. <3
Lol you are a comment whore dude!
ReplyDelete-Bege-
I think the fascination with these types of blogs and that show is this:
ReplyDeleteMany of them help women/men justify their lives. "He/She does that? So do I! That means I'm okay. So I'll keep doing that."
It's when these bloggers don't take any responsibility for themselves that I stop reading. (Not to say that that's what I think Ms. Kelin does)
There'sonly so much of the "have sex liek a guy" stuff one can process and hear before it just starts sounding like these writers (male and female) are using their sexuality as armor. And that's not entertaining. Been there, done that.
Great blog!
Moxie
sexandmoxie.blogspot.com