I am so fascinated by jobs that people have. I hear about so many people that have taken such interesting career paths. I think my favortie was the box tester. Yup ... he is an engineer that tests the strength of boxes for certification purposes - did you ever notice that boxes you buy have such things? There are people out there that make their careers maintaining blogs or surfing the Internet or some other random sort of job. My friend has a boyfriend that's a poet! A poet. I never even considered that I would remotely know a poet - at least one that writes professionally, for a living.
I wonder how people end up in these jobs. I cannot think of many people I knew growing up who dreamed of testing boxes or creating the flavoring chemical that would be used to make hamburgers taste like ... well ... hamburgers. (I've been reading Fast Food Nation" now for two years. Why two years you ask. Well because I read a bunch of other things before I picked it back up again.)
I have tried a lot of jobs. However, there are certain ones that never appealed to me. For example, I never had any desire to be a waiter. This could have been a mistake on my part given that I have learned that restaurants are breeding grounds and everyone working there is sleeping with everyone else working there and the patrons and who knows who else. Ahh, the days of my youth squandered in meaningless jobs like IT help desks where no one was sleeping with anyone.
The entire working culture is interesting to me. A lot of people work extra to get ahead and many families ended up needing both parties to work in order to make ends meet or to get ahead. Some people work for less (illegal immigrants, women, or other minority groups) for a multitude of reasons. The funny part is that the people that work extra to get ahead and such will not actually get ahead in the grand economic theory. I forget the name of this theory but it runs as follows: a person or company that does something to get ahead will only get ahead if no other company or person does the same thing. However, everyone is trying to get ahead so the person trying to get ahead never actually gets ahead - relatively.
As an illustration, it used to be you "got ahead" by getting an advanced degree. This was when it was more uncommon for people to obtain advanced degrees. Now many more people get degrees so such people are not such a valuable commodity. Moreover, some price themselves out of the market with the advanced degree as the employer can hire one of the other people willing to work for less because they are less qualified.
Economies and market efficiencies are not as efficient as we are sometimes led to believe. In theory, outsourcing will not stop, without government intervention, until it costs companies more to outsource than to keep them here. Presumably, this will not occur until all global economies are on an equal playing field and everyone demands the same amount of salary and working conditions and such. This may or may not be a bad thing. There is economic theory that this is good for the economy, but the real numbers seem to indicate otherwise.
However, before I get into some larger pontification on market and economic theory - let me ask the question I was considering when I began this - how many of you are doing what you expected to be doing when you were growing up? For those of you that haven't reached that "grown up" stage of your life - do you know what you will be when you grow up? I was positively convinced that I knew what I was going to be when I started college. Yet, I ended up becoming something entirely different (as is very common).
I wonder how people end up in these jobs. I cannot think of many people I knew growing up who dreamed of testing boxes or creating the flavoring chemical that would be used to make hamburgers taste like ... well ... hamburgers. (I've been reading Fast Food Nation" now for two years. Why two years you ask. Well because I read a bunch of other things before I picked it back up again.)
I have tried a lot of jobs. However, there are certain ones that never appealed to me. For example, I never had any desire to be a waiter. This could have been a mistake on my part given that I have learned that restaurants are breeding grounds and everyone working there is sleeping with everyone else working there and the patrons and who knows who else. Ahh, the days of my youth squandered in meaningless jobs like IT help desks where no one was sleeping with anyone.
The entire working culture is interesting to me. A lot of people work extra to get ahead and many families ended up needing both parties to work in order to make ends meet or to get ahead. Some people work for less (illegal immigrants, women, or other minority groups) for a multitude of reasons. The funny part is that the people that work extra to get ahead and such will not actually get ahead in the grand economic theory. I forget the name of this theory but it runs as follows: a person or company that does something to get ahead will only get ahead if no other company or person does the same thing. However, everyone is trying to get ahead so the person trying to get ahead never actually gets ahead - relatively.
As an illustration, it used to be you "got ahead" by getting an advanced degree. This was when it was more uncommon for people to obtain advanced degrees. Now many more people get degrees so such people are not such a valuable commodity. Moreover, some price themselves out of the market with the advanced degree as the employer can hire one of the other people willing to work for less because they are less qualified.
Economies and market efficiencies are not as efficient as we are sometimes led to believe. In theory, outsourcing will not stop, without government intervention, until it costs companies more to outsource than to keep them here. Presumably, this will not occur until all global economies are on an equal playing field and everyone demands the same amount of salary and working conditions and such. This may or may not be a bad thing. There is economic theory that this is good for the economy, but the real numbers seem to indicate otherwise.
However, before I get into some larger pontification on market and economic theory - let me ask the question I was considering when I began this - how many of you are doing what you expected to be doing when you were growing up? For those of you that haven't reached that "grown up" stage of your life - do you know what you will be when you grow up? I was positively convinced that I knew what I was going to be when I started college. Yet, I ended up becoming something entirely different (as is very common).
Interesting... from the sounds of your blog it sounds as though you wish you would've been a teacher... especially posing the question to the many out there who still have no inkling of what they wish to do or to accomplish. I am doing what I expected to be doing and luckily, what I wanted to be doing when I was a child and teenager. I am one of the lucky ones. When I was younger (a teenager) I wanted to write poetry (and did), I wanted to be a dancer (and did) and I wanted to work in a field related to politics (and I am a public administrator in the field of recreation and leisure services). I am lucky; but I also worked hard to accomplish what I have and I thought long about what I wanted out of life and what would fulfill me on a daily basis (since work is such a huge part of one's life and time). I would also encourage anyone unsure of what they want to do or unhappy with what they are doing to analyze that and do some soul searching. What makes you happy? And yes, with all those beings pursuing the same goal to succeed, the level is raised and what was once extraordinary is now ordinary. Higher education doesn't demand high pay or a great job. One has to carefully choose "majors" in college that are marketable, not "soft" and without the ability to land a job.
ReplyDeleteI'm certainly not doing what I wanted to do when was growing up. Of course, that vocation changed a lot. When I saw Challenger blow up, I knew I wanted to be an inventor. When I saw an MIT robot competition on ABC, I knew I wanted to be a robotics engineer. When I graduated with my advanced engineering degree, I knew I didn't have a job in my field. Now, I still know I don't have a job in my field. Yay. Still, I agree with the previous poster, you have to do what makes you happy, and until you figure out what that is it's kinda hard to do it. But since you spend effectively a third of two-thirds of your life working (making it two-ninths, only matched by sleep at about one third), it would be nice to do something you enjoy.
ReplyDeleteFinally, although the Examiner does not have present and clear evidence to refute the claim presented by J that "restaurants are breeding grounds and everyone working there is sleeping with everyone else", the Examiner takes Official Notice that it is most common for people to be of quality, or quantity, but not both. Therefore, it seems more healthy to have a quality relationship with someone who's been with fewer people than with someone who's not of high quality and who regards you as a number.
I agree with the examiner: better to be with someone of quality: "more healthy to have a quality relationship with someone who's been with fewer people than with someone who's not of high quality and who regards you as a number." Are you upset you didn't live such a lifestyle that includes being with a number of different people? Is that, perhaps, an oat to be sowed?
ReplyDeleteWorking at the restaurant would not necessrily have meant that I would have had multiple partners ... or really any partner. However, it would have been nice to at least increase my odds to have had one.
ReplyDeleteHowever, ... I agree with the Examiner as well. BTW, good nickname.
I wish I was doing what I thought I would be, but I don't know if I have a passion for anything enough that I would want to spend the rest of my life doing/actually being happy doing it--which has led me to follow a pursuit of practicality. Wow that was a run-on sentence if I've ever seen one! What do you do and are you happy?
ReplyDeleteamber says...
ReplyDeletei don't think i ever had career goals or "dreams." i'd really like to be a housewife--keeping my home spotless, raising adopted kids, and preparing real meals would be my idea of a good job. i don't want to be a maid or nanny because the home and kids wouldn't be MINE. i dunno how likely i am to acchieve this goal, as i don't even have a boyf at the moment, and am VERY selective, as well as a "good catch" only to a small number of guys.