Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Harder To Breathe

Several years ago, a doctor started me on an asthma medication called Advair. You may have seen the commercials for it. The medicine comes in a purple discus and actually contains two different medications. Its goal is to prevent you from having asthma attacks at all so that you do not have to use your fast acting inhaler and scar your lungs. Excellent things to strive for in my opinion. However, my insurance company decided to re-categorize Advair as a much higher tier prescription medication. Suddenly, I was spending much more on the product. A representative there recommended that I switch to the generic form of both medications in the Advair, which saved me a lot of money, but was quite a hassle. So, I just stopped taking my medicine entirely. Thank you, United Health Care.

After about a week of not taking the medicine, however, I seemed to actually be sleeping better. No, I was no Rip Van Winkle and I still sometimes had trouble making it past seven or eight hours, but I really was sleeping seven or eight hours. This was fantastic. I looked online and found that a possible side effect of the medicines in Advair is trouble sleeping. Well, guess what, that possible side effect page was written for me. It even said the medicine could worsen your asthma attacks and cause death. That was a little scary.

I now seem to be sleeping pretty well. Not all the time, but on a much more frequent basis. My body is even able to return to sleep sometimes after it is awoken. I am in complete awe of this crazy new thing called sleep. However, my lungs are a little less than happy. Sure, I have not had any sever asthma attacks and nothing bad enough to force me to use the fast acting inhaler (which I do not have), but I have had bouts of shortness of breathe and occasionally my girlfriend will look at me with those questioning eyes that say, "You aren't really going to go run a mile now are you?"

Now I am faced with the ultimate question, would I rather breathe or sleep. Somehow, I feel the latter will prevail, as I am just too tired to think about these difficult questions.

5 comments:

  1. hmm... I'm not going to pretend like I know anything about your situation, but have you been formally diagnosed with asthma?? just wondering b/c I was unofficially diagnosed about 2yrs ago and was on and off the inhaler for a while. It turned out, though, that I actually had a virus causing inflammation to my lungs and my lungs were scarring, preventing oxygen from getting through to them. I know it's not always a case of "do you have what I had?" but just a thought.... i think drs are pretty happy-go-lucky with asthma meds these days.... anyway, hope you feel better! glad the sleep has returned :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. K, you've been hanging out too long with those folks in scrubs. ;-)

    Over the years, several doctors have diagnosed me with asthma, but it has been, generally, mild, with bouts of more severe attacks. It was less severe when I was still a musician, and used my lungs more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think a lot of times, asthma can be managed without medication - you just have to know your triggers and stay away from them if you can. My mom and I both have asthma, though hers is much more severe than mine. I don't use my inhaler most of the time, but when I get sick, usually my lungs take it full force and I NEED an inhaler.

    Whatever you decide, PLEASE keep an inhaler handy in your house. My cousin let his medication lapse because he didn't have any attacks for a long time. He had one in the middle of the night and ended up dying. A hassle to get the medication you need, even if just to have on hand for emergencies, is much better than death.

    ReplyDelete
  4. J, I answered your immigration question on my latest post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Insurance companies are seemingly do this to everyone... I can't tell you how many people were suddenly un-covered January 1st.

    It's good that you're finding sleep at any rate. What of dreams? Are they any better?

    ReplyDelete

Google
WWW Search this site