Monday, October 15, 2007

Lack of Tension

I suppose I really do need to blog more. I have not been very good at sticking to it. Every week, I think I will be better at it and every week, I don't seem to be. I guess I often feel that I do not have anything interesting or exciting to say. Back when I used to blog more, I had a lot of exciting things happening, with terrible dating stories and reflections on relationships, dating, and women. I know there were some other things thrown in there, but I think that was a lot of the subject matter. After a while, I sort of ran out of things to say and I started dating someone and we didn't breakup. Suddenly, my life, while becoming more full, seemed a lot more boring. I guess that is probably a good sign - not having colorful fights every week and having large issues going on all the time probably is an indication of something fairly healthy. However, I also feel less exciting. Suddenly, Kevin Smith's blog title, My Boring Ass Life, makes a whole lot more sense to me.

So many of the sitcoms and movies you see are about the boy getting the girl, but not many of them actually involve what happens once that quest is achieved. Even if the hero does somehow manage to catch the object of his affection, it is likely not going to last very long. Something bad is bound to happen, and there will be tension and drama once again. One would assume that the reason for this is that actual normal relationships are probably just plain boring to anyone watching. To the people in them, there are the twists and turns, but the nuance is probably only barely grasped by the casual observer.

One of my best friends recently sent me a cookbook. She said that she had thought of getting me this book months ago, back when my blog seemed to be more about food. I thought the gift was so sweet of her, as I really do enjoy cooking. However, I felt a little sad because I still do cook, I just neglect to ever share that part of my life on here any more. It just no longer occurs to me that I still do some of those things that I used to think blog worthy. For example, my girlfriend and I recently bought a slow cooker. I was reading a blog or something and one guy mentioned that he cooks some big stew or something every weekend in a slow cooker and he and his girlfriend slowly consume it here and there during the week, letting them eat more home cooked meals, but not spending a ton of time doing so. I thought this was a great idea. So, we got one.

This weekend, I made chicken chili which tastes absolutely amazing. I am extremely picky when it comes to chili, especially chicken chili, but I absolutely love this one. I also love that as the slow cooker cooks for eight hours, the smells that fill my apartment are completely stellar. Granted, I still cook other things and I really enjoy it. But this just adds a new dimension to everything. I can have one thing cooking and still be making other things during the day. This week, I plan to make a spaghetti squash and herb dish, with this rather large squash we bought at out neighborhood farmers' market.

On Saturday, we woke up at the crack of dawn to go participate in a 5K to support a group that helps people out of domestic violence situations. It was really surprising to see so many people up that early on a Saturday. A good number of them even appeared to be high school kids just out there to support the the cause. I thought that was really cool. The run took place right next to the ocean, and we tried to watch the sunrise, but it was overcast. Still, it was a great experience, even if I did have to wake up at 4 or 5 to do it.

On Sunday, we went to church, had lunch with my best friend (I have a few), went to the gym, and ate chicken chili. Yum. I also succeeded in getting my haircut. Small goals. Next weekend, we are going to Halloween Horror Nights at Universal in Orlando. I love how much cheaper it is to go there as a Florida resident. We have a hotel and everything, and we will also get to see some of my friends while we are up there.

4 comments:

  1. See, now I'm going to need you to post the chicken chili recipe. Because I love slow cooker stuff and am always on the hunt for great recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ya i would like to know that recipe too! I love my crock pot in the winter mostly when you can really enjoy stews etc.

    I smirked through this entire post -J... you sound like an old married man who just figured out he got married! lmao You sound settled and happy. That is really wonderful!

    I havent ever been to the Universal Horror nights... thought about it with the kids etc, but idk... perhaps we will go this year. It is great as a FL resident!

    Glad to see a post!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny you mention that bit about television/movies/shows/books telling the audience all about the chase and conquer, but never about life after the fact (But in rare exceptions, which are worth searching for) because a friend and were watching Garden State last night and that's all we talked about all through dinner. I guess there's more tension in the chase, where as it's harder to portray something like contentment or drama about who is taking care of the laundry and why didn't they use Oxyclean...

    Anyway. All really wanted to say when I began typing was that I like spagetti squash. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. J~ thanks for the good thoughts and I love this post!! It is funny that we bemoan the crazy ups and downs and uncertainties that come with trying to find that great relationship, and then when we're IN one, our lives are more full but also seem more boring... But, at least we have someone to be boring with! :)

    ReplyDelete

Google
WWW Search this site