With the passing of my friend, I was reminded of a couple things that few people plan for prior to their passing, but which often come up after they have shuffled on to the great beyond.
If you have online accounts, especially with automatic debits scheduled, make sure someone else has the ability to access them after you are gone - and not just your significant other because, often, they may go when you do. I went through this weekend with Roboform and had it store the login information for all of my accounts and then put my master password with my Will. I know this may seem trivial, but it can take quite a while for your family to pull all of your records together, find an attorney, get all the documents signed, get to Court, obtain Death Certificates and get the necessary documents to the correct departments of all the companies. In all that time, you may have automatically debited your account for thousands of dollars, which can be significant - especially if any of the debt (like most student loans) are discharged at death or if you have an otherwise insolvent Estate. More than anything, figuring out all of these details can be a real headache for your family and loved ones. Plus, Roboform is free.
I know I have not updated here in about two weeks. Sorry about that. I had a funeral to attend the weekend before last and last weekend, I was in a wedding and both events were out of town. Overall, I think I preferred the funeral to the wedding, which probably sounds a little morbid. However, it was just easier and more fun for me, I think. I saw more people that I knew and liked at the funeral and had fewer headaches and nicer people to deal with. Fortunately, the bride and groom were not aware of most of the major debacles that occurred in the days leading up to the wedding, and they were in their own state of bliss. However, for those of us just along for the ride, it was a painful experience that I hope not to have to repeat for at least a year or two.
The funeral was good, I guess. It gave me a chance to see some friends I have not seen in years and we were able to sit and laugh and exchange stories about our friend who is no longer with us. I do not think it was the magical experience that I have often heard funerals described as. I did not leave the event thinking, "Alright, now it all makes sense; I'm ready to move on." Instead, I think I departed feeling just about as confused as ever about my loss as I had before. However, I definitely felt it was a worthwhile experience to attend and his family really appreciated how many people had shown up to honor their son.
I guess that nutshells the past couple weeks of my life. I will try and do better at posting more frequently on more items of note and interest.
If you have online accounts, especially with automatic debits scheduled, make sure someone else has the ability to access them after you are gone - and not just your significant other because, often, they may go when you do. I went through this weekend with Roboform and had it store the login information for all of my accounts and then put my master password with my Will. I know this may seem trivial, but it can take quite a while for your family to pull all of your records together, find an attorney, get all the documents signed, get to Court, obtain Death Certificates and get the necessary documents to the correct departments of all the companies. In all that time, you may have automatically debited your account for thousands of dollars, which can be significant - especially if any of the debt (like most student loans) are discharged at death or if you have an otherwise insolvent Estate. More than anything, figuring out all of these details can be a real headache for your family and loved ones. Plus, Roboform is free.
I know I have not updated here in about two weeks. Sorry about that. I had a funeral to attend the weekend before last and last weekend, I was in a wedding and both events were out of town. Overall, I think I preferred the funeral to the wedding, which probably sounds a little morbid. However, it was just easier and more fun for me, I think. I saw more people that I knew and liked at the funeral and had fewer headaches and nicer people to deal with. Fortunately, the bride and groom were not aware of most of the major debacles that occurred in the days leading up to the wedding, and they were in their own state of bliss. However, for those of us just along for the ride, it was a painful experience that I hope not to have to repeat for at least a year or two.
The funeral was good, I guess. It gave me a chance to see some friends I have not seen in years and we were able to sit and laugh and exchange stories about our friend who is no longer with us. I do not think it was the magical experience that I have often heard funerals described as. I did not leave the event thinking, "Alright, now it all makes sense; I'm ready to move on." Instead, I think I departed feeling just about as confused as ever about my loss as I had before. However, I definitely felt it was a worthwhile experience to attend and his family really appreciated how many people had shown up to honor their son.
I guess that nutshells the past couple weeks of my life. I will try and do better at posting more frequently on more items of note and interest.
good idea about the online info... although with proof of death all that money paid after DOD would be refunded. It happened with my Mother. The biggest thing it does is gives the grieving people less to worry/think about... and that it worth millions! I am still dealing with my Moms estate 2 years after her death. I am a slug and just cant seem to stay on task with it all. Its such a sore subject I even ALLOW myself to procrastinate!
ReplyDeleteAnyway... I am glad you found something of worth in the funeral. I dont mind funerals, its viewings I cant do.
Glad you'll be writing more... but write what you want. Not what you think others want.
Kate ~ Just so you know, I do probate work down here and it often happens that the families do not get a refund after proof of death. It is great that you did.
ReplyDeleteIt often just depends on the creditor and how nice they feel like being. The family can always try to get the money back from the creditor later but if they have me do it, my hourly fee will often exceed whatever they are looking to recover.
J, just read this post... I'm sorry about your friend.
ReplyDelete