I started reading one of my books about codependency the other night. I think one of the problems with those books is they often discuss the severe cases or the cases that have, eventually, escalated out of control. Much like alcoholism, it's usually a progressive illness, worsening with time if left untreated. I felt like if I lent the book to one of my friends, they could easily shake it off and laugh, as it wouldn't really apply to them. After all, I don't have many friends dating alcoholics or drug addicts. I've had a couple, but they either grew out of it or eventually left the relationship, or we've lost touch. However, I know several codependents. In fact, in my life, I was often attracted to codependent women. I think it's probably because of the way I was raised. I felt that if maybe I shared one of their stories, it might have more of an impact.
In law school, I knew a girl named Liz. Liz was married to this guy named Fred. Liz was fairly unhappy about that fact. She really didn't like Fred. She didn't feel like he really understood her or the things that were important to her. She didn't feel that he was supportive of her in many ways and when she tried to talk to him about it, he usually made her feel like she was overreacting or being ridiculous. Liz couldn't leave Fred because she couldn't figure out anything that he really did wrong. He was a good provider. He made good money. He didn't beat her. Her family would never understand. And she constantly worried that it might be a mistake to leave. "What if he's the one I'm meant to be with?" She kept hoping Fred would either change or leave her.
Eventually, Liz had an affair and Fred found out about it. Liz figured Fred had to leave now. I mean, c'mon, she had been cheating on him. But Fred didn't want to leave. Fred cried and said he wanted to save their marriage. This caught Liz off guard. She explained that she didn't want to work on anything. She wanted a divorce. He wouldn't give her one. She said that she wouldn't stop sleeping with other men. He didn't care. He cried and begged and Liz decided she had to stay for a while. After all, she did love him and he was a nice guy. He really had always been the same guy. He just had never changed, or become the person she envisioned him being, despite all her efforts. Liz went home to see her family and they all confessed that they thought Liz had been unhappy for a while and that if she wanted to leave Fred, they fully understood. Fred said he wanted to have children. Liz changed her hair.
Liz started seeing a psychologist, a really good psychologist. Liz's psychologist diagnosed Liz as a codependent and he was pretty sure Fred was too. Liz couldn't leave Fred still. They'd fight and argue but she couldn't do it. She just didn't have it in her and she didn't know what her life would be like without a relationship. She had always had a man in her life.
Liz got offered a job far away. Her psychologist said that when she took the job, she should ask for a trial separation from Fred. "It doesn't have to be permanent. Just some time away so that you can truly assess your feelings about this relationship."
"Why do you look frightened?"
"I'm worried that if I do what you're asking, I'll never go back with him."
"From everything I know about you and everything you've told me, you won't, but you will actually need to complete the separation to make a rational and healthy decision. No contact for at least three months. None. If he respects you and loves you, he will give you this time."
Liz did it. It was the hardest thing she had ever done in her life. She walked away from Fred and moved, beginning her trial separation. It lasted all of three days.
Liz couldn't take it. She missed Fred. He wasn't that bad after all. And he did love her. I mean, he had stayed and he said he loved her. "He just doesn't understand how to make me feel loved. That's not his fault." Liz was still trying to make excuses for Fred and enable his behavior. It's what codependents do, and she had stopped therapy after she moved. Liz isolated herself from all of her friends, didn't return their calls, wouldn't go out with them and soon left town with Fred.
I recently spoke with a friend of Liz's, who occasionally speaks with her still. "I spoke to Lizzy the other day."
"How is she?"
"She's still miserable with Fred. Nothing in her life has changed one bit. They're the exact same couple they were years ago, maybe a little worse. I just don't get it. How could she be that miserable and still stay?"
In law school, I knew a girl named Liz. Liz was married to this guy named Fred. Liz was fairly unhappy about that fact. She really didn't like Fred. She didn't feel like he really understood her or the things that were important to her. She didn't feel that he was supportive of her in many ways and when she tried to talk to him about it, he usually made her feel like she was overreacting or being ridiculous. Liz couldn't leave Fred because she couldn't figure out anything that he really did wrong. He was a good provider. He made good money. He didn't beat her. Her family would never understand. And she constantly worried that it might be a mistake to leave. "What if he's the one I'm meant to be with?" She kept hoping Fred would either change or leave her.
Eventually, Liz had an affair and Fred found out about it. Liz figured Fred had to leave now. I mean, c'mon, she had been cheating on him. But Fred didn't want to leave. Fred cried and said he wanted to save their marriage. This caught Liz off guard. She explained that she didn't want to work on anything. She wanted a divorce. He wouldn't give her one. She said that she wouldn't stop sleeping with other men. He didn't care. He cried and begged and Liz decided she had to stay for a while. After all, she did love him and he was a nice guy. He really had always been the same guy. He just had never changed, or become the person she envisioned him being, despite all her efforts. Liz went home to see her family and they all confessed that they thought Liz had been unhappy for a while and that if she wanted to leave Fred, they fully understood. Fred said he wanted to have children. Liz changed her hair.
Liz started seeing a psychologist, a really good psychologist. Liz's psychologist diagnosed Liz as a codependent and he was pretty sure Fred was too. Liz couldn't leave Fred still. They'd fight and argue but she couldn't do it. She just didn't have it in her and she didn't know what her life would be like without a relationship. She had always had a man in her life.
Liz got offered a job far away. Her psychologist said that when she took the job, she should ask for a trial separation from Fred. "It doesn't have to be permanent. Just some time away so that you can truly assess your feelings about this relationship."
"Why do you look frightened?"
"I'm worried that if I do what you're asking, I'll never go back with him."
"From everything I know about you and everything you've told me, you won't, but you will actually need to complete the separation to make a rational and healthy decision. No contact for at least three months. None. If he respects you and loves you, he will give you this time."
Liz did it. It was the hardest thing she had ever done in her life. She walked away from Fred and moved, beginning her trial separation. It lasted all of three days.
Liz couldn't take it. She missed Fred. He wasn't that bad after all. And he did love her. I mean, he had stayed and he said he loved her. "He just doesn't understand how to make me feel loved. That's not his fault." Liz was still trying to make excuses for Fred and enable his behavior. It's what codependents do, and she had stopped therapy after she moved. Liz isolated herself from all of her friends, didn't return their calls, wouldn't go out with them and soon left town with Fred.
I recently spoke with a friend of Liz's, who occasionally speaks with her still. "I spoke to Lizzy the other day."
"How is she?"
"She's still miserable with Fred. Nothing in her life has changed one bit. They're the exact same couple they were years ago, maybe a little worse. I just don't get it. How could she be that miserable and still stay?"
i feel that way about text messaging
ReplyDeleteI like how you wrote this. Especially "Fred said he wanted to have children. Liz changed her hair."
ReplyDeleteWhat a miserable way to live.
ReplyDeleteGreat post. I wish I read something like this 10 yeras ago. But we can only learned through our own ways, I guess. I was like Liz for the longest time in my life. But I did try the seperation and it worked and I am much happier for I had finally moved on from that failed marraige. I wish I have done it sooner--the drag has alienated something very important in my life from me. Thanks for this. "And freedom is for the strong-willed people only, like the wind on the mountain top". A Japanese writer once said. It is very true.
ReplyDeleteHow miserable does one have to be in order to make a change... that is my question.
ReplyDeleteShould Liz stick with him if he is a good guy but she made the wrong choice? After all she took vows. He isnt breaking his...
What if she found someone along the way that made her feel loved and alive... then should she leave Fred? Because she could be happier with someone else?
What if Fred started being neglectful? Or what if Liz did because she built up anger over Freds actions(or lack there of) over the years...
At what point do you cut bait? When if ever is it socially acceptable?
I have found that here in Florida there are SOOOOOOOOOO many divorsed people and blended marriages! In PA I really honestly only had a handfull of friends that were divorsed (and I know LOADS of people)I wonder why that is... hummmmm I bet its those damn attorneys down here! *wink
sorry this is so terribly long... its a bit of a hot button
Kate ~ I would say somewhere around the time the licensed professional thinks it's best that you leave. If you are in an unhealthy relationship, as Liz obviously was/is, it's going to involve work by both parties for it to improve. Fred did not feel anything was wrong with him.
ReplyDeleteIt's also a mistake to say Fred kept his vows. One of the vows is to love. Corinthians discusses what it is to love, and Fred was not adhering to it.
The discrepency you find between PA and FL is just a reflection of your circle of acquaintances, I think, as the rates are fairly consistent state to state. Christians are more likely to experience divorce, however.
idk about the circle of friends thing. Perhaps, but the people I know here are similar in socioeconomic and religious background. Its just odd. I dont know what the 'corinthian' discusses... but there are many many many ideas on what love is... I bet we could come up with a definition by someone that shows Fred as being loving in his own way... I dont mean to come off as thinking that she should stay. I dont.
ReplyDeleteI would say psychologists are basically in agreement as to what healthy and unhealthy love are, and I would imagine their definition isn't such a bad standard.
ReplyDeleteoh you didnt go religious on me... I thought you would! lol yea I agree with you, but I also think that the spectrum that they use must be very broad. Its such a personal feeling and the needs involved are so personal that I think only the people involved really know. No one can tell you how to feel... no matter how right or wrong that love is! Just my opinion
ReplyDeleteI am codependant.
ReplyDeleteI did most of those things and came up with reasons why he " was not so bad after all"
Been done with him for a year and a half. still cry once in a while and miss " some parts of him" I guess it's just fear of being alone.
Still walking , putting one foot in front of the other, and not looking back:)
Thanks for writing this:)
I am currently in this situation and have been wondering why I have been so unhappy for my 10 years of marriage. I was even unhappy when I found out I was pregnant 4 years ago but hoped that being a father would change his drinking habits. My daughter is the light of my life but he hasn't changed. After going through 3 psychologists who just diagnosed me as depressed, I have finally found a social worker who painted the clear picture of my codependency. I am working towards being confident and assertive enough to stand by my decision of asking for a divorce (for the 2nd time), not taking "no" for an answer or accepting blame from his family for not trying hard enough to change him .
ReplyDelete