Every now and again, I'll catch a flicker of just the right hair color or just the right body type and I'll be instantly reminded of an ex. Sometimes it will be a fond recollection and other times it will be a bitter fleeting thought that I would just as soon forget. There are also the rare occasions where I will suddenly be filled with remorse and regret. The thought creeps in that perhaps I made the biggest mistake ever. Perhaps she was the one for me. No faith in my own decision making - it was an issue I had to address in therapy. "What do you mean that's a bad thing?"
I remember she used to ask me, and her other friends, for hours on end what we thought of Fred's behavior. It was a terrible exercise in futility, as we would all validate her feelings and tell her how right she was to be feeling the way she did, but then she would confront him and her entire self-esteem and boundaries would immediately crumble. We simply believed in her more than she believed in herself, a terribly unfortunate way to live. "He's not like you. He doesn't understand me the way you do. It's not his fault. I just need to be better. You don't understand him the way I do. You don't see how much potential he has." It's always frightening when you see others' dysfunctions in yourself. However, it's also relieving because it's that recognition and admission that can lead to recovery or behavior modification (as they like to call it).
However, there were other issues that I also had to address and, at times, it's difficult for me to look back and discern whether I got in the way of myself somewhere along the line. This self-doubt and concern can haunt me for days, as I reevaluate and reassess. But every now and again, something spectacular happens where the ex does something so annoying that I am immediately reminded of all the reasons she made me miserable and I am instantly glad to be away, with no regrets to ever haunt me again.
"She really did that?"
"Yeah. Pretty crazy, huh?"
"I can't believe you stayed with her for as long as you did."
"I was too busy being afraid that leaving would be a bigger mistake than staying to see just how unfulfilled I was. I kept thinking someone else would make the decision for me. I kept hoping that someone would say the magic words that finally gave me the courage and freedom to leave. What it took me time to learn was that I always had that freedom and only I could see it through."
I remember she used to ask me, and her other friends, for hours on end what we thought of Fred's behavior. It was a terrible exercise in futility, as we would all validate her feelings and tell her how right she was to be feeling the way she did, but then she would confront him and her entire self-esteem and boundaries would immediately crumble. We simply believed in her more than she believed in herself, a terribly unfortunate way to live. "He's not like you. He doesn't understand me the way you do. It's not his fault. I just need to be better. You don't understand him the way I do. You don't see how much potential he has." It's always frightening when you see others' dysfunctions in yourself. However, it's also relieving because it's that recognition and admission that can lead to recovery or behavior modification (as they like to call it).
However, there were other issues that I also had to address and, at times, it's difficult for me to look back and discern whether I got in the way of myself somewhere along the line. This self-doubt and concern can haunt me for days, as I reevaluate and reassess. But every now and again, something spectacular happens where the ex does something so annoying that I am immediately reminded of all the reasons she made me miserable and I am instantly glad to be away, with no regrets to ever haunt me again.
"She really did that?"
"Yeah. Pretty crazy, huh?"
"I can't believe you stayed with her for as long as you did."
"I was too busy being afraid that leaving would be a bigger mistake than staying to see just how unfulfilled I was. I kept thinking someone else would make the decision for me. I kept hoping that someone would say the magic words that finally gave me the courage and freedom to leave. What it took me time to learn was that I always had that freedom and only I could see it through."
fear is such a powerful emotion...
ReplyDelete-fear of making the wrong decision...
-of being alone...
-of losing what you have and not knowing if there is anything equal or better out there for you...
I am sooo totally with ya here. I am terrible at making decisions that effect me. In my case I am am held by the ideas I mentioned above and (i hate this bit in myself) what others expect and think of me. I have always been that way... It totally matters what other people think of me. It fuels my self esteem and makes me who I am... for better or worse. I am getting better as I get older, but I have a hell of a way to go! lol
As I read this I wondered if you lost site also that it was probably a mutual decision...Not just yours.
Ok perhaps more one sided than another, but rarely is something perfect in one persons mind and awful in the others. I do have a friend once that literally called her boyfriend to break it off (she felt things were just blah and not going anywhere so didnt want to waste time with him...) and he proposed to her there and then... never hearing what she was going to say to him. She had told all of her girlfriends the night before so when we saw her next and she was engaged... ummmm we were a bit surprised! She is still married... 7 years and 3 kids later. Is she happy... ummmmmmm idk she lives a lovely lifestyle and has what every girl THINKS they want... but I dont know if I would say she is happy. Not a question I could ask either! lol
I think that things do happen for a reason in life... that there are many paths we can take... none the 'right' one... just the choice we made at that fork in the road.
interesting post -J!
J- Thanks for your comment this morning, if you want to ask me anything just e-mail! Love ya!
ReplyDelete