Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Alone at Last

I sometimes will hear the familiar refrain, "If you don't [insert verb here], you'll be alone for a very long time." I even received an anonymous comment on one of my recent posts suggesting this. (Don't look for it because as with most anonymous comments, I responded to it and then deleted it.) Every time someone offers this lesson in romance, they usually say it like being alone is the equivalent of catching Ebola.

At one point in my life, statements like this would have haunted me and given me night sweats and terrors. The fear of being alone was enough to strike fear into my heart. It didn't matter whether the judgmental person throwing this statement out there was right or not. Somehow my brain skipped the step of any type of analysis of the character of the speaker. All that mattered was that someone had found something in me wanting and if I ever wanted to be happy, I needed to change.

"Wait, what was that?"

"Right, if I want to be happy, I need to change."

"But that's not what they said. What they - this anonymous speaker who suddenly feels that they have sufficient insight into you, life, and love - said was if you don't change, you'll be alone. When did alone become synonymous with unhappiness? When did you let those two concepts connect in your brain and rule your life? When did you allow your entire concept of happiness become controlled by another and tied to whether or not someone else finds value in you?"

"Um ... since ever? Isn't that what happiness is? Having that person that loves you and understands you? What's the point in living if you have to do it alone? I don't want to be alone. In the movies the people that are alone are always sad. They're always missing something."

"Great, now you have movies controlling your self image. How independent of you. Have you noticed that you're never alone? Have you noticed the friends that you have and the things that you do? Why is your self-esteem and self-worth coming from external sources instead of from within, where it's supposed to originate? I mean, it's in the name, after all - self-worth, self-esteem."

"Just lucky, I guess."

It took me years of therapy to make all of these connections, to line up all the pieces and connect all the dots, and to come to the conclusion that being alone is not the worst thing in the world. It is not a fate worse than death and that happiness truly comes from within. I learned that while I would love to be in a relationship with the right person, I'm still just as good without one. I now find it rather humorous when I hear someone say, "Your standards are too high," or "You wonder why you're alone." The truth is I don't care whether anyone thinks my standards are too high and I don't wonder why I'm alone. Usually the person saying these things is the type to wonder at such things but I simply cannot be bothered. Because all of that inner peace and happiness that I kept expecting to find in someone else ended up being within myself all the time.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you...
    First who has the right to judge what will make another person happy?
    Second, you are 100% right that you should have high standards... that you should shoot for the moon in a prospective mate... who wants to be saddled with a person they dont adore, respect and love?

    The bit that I didnt agree with was that of self esteem being outsourced in a relationship... I think that depends on the person not in having or not having a relationship. I havent spent much time alone in my life... which scares me a bit... but I was as needy of others when I was alone as I am now in a relationship. Perhaps its mellowed with age a bit, but I think its just in my nature. I need people.

    The real issue is, are you happy with your life? If yes then great... partner or no partner! If no then make some changes and find happiness... again with or without a partner! I have been particularly unhappy for the past few years... It came to a head when I lost my 4 loved ones... but I think I have finally decided that IIIIIIII need to be the one to make changes or it will be like a plane in a holding pattern... like the movie Groundhog Day...

    Interesting post.

    ReplyDelete

Google
WWW Search this site