Monday, November 20, 2006

Be Yourself

Despite what you might think, there was actually a point to my previous post. Other than it being one of my favorite mental pictures, it illustrates a point that I was trying to express to someone the other night. We were discussing dating and getting to know other people in general. Her position was that we should all be who we really are from the outset, which I think is a great ideal but one that I feel is rarely ever achieved. You simply are not going to know that other person through two dates or ten dates. It's going to be a process and this results from so many factors.

Some people are exceptionally private, like the friend I was driving to the airport. She wasn't going to tell me what was wrong until it suddenly struck her that it was now ok and safe to tell me. Sometimes it's because the situation doesn't arise. I wouldn't have known she was afraid of flying unless I had driven her to the airport that day, or some other event triggered such a conversation. Other times, we just don't know the other person well enough yet. I'm not necessarily going to get into a huge religious or political discussion with someone on the first or second date because I don't even know if I like them yet and what's the point of wasting all of that effort and time. Besides, why discuss inherently controversial things. Often beginnings of relationships are calm because it's still easy not to rock the boat. We can let more things slide because we aren't even sure we'll talk to the other person again.

Again, this is all grey because it all depends on the two people in the situation. There's nothing that says the person sitting across from you on that first date won't be that soul that you just feel completely comfortable confiding every facet of your life to right then and there, but I would say the odds of that are fairly low - I can only be so many places, people. Secondly, even if you did all of that on the first night, where are you really? You're just two people that hung out one night that still might never talk again. The conditions that you met under may never replicate again. What if the next time you meet, you're stressed or tired or some other variation of your normal self. You can't be all of the subtle variations of yourself all at once.

Being yourself is not as easy as it often sounds because while we are who we are, we are not always who we are. "Though we share so many secrets, there are some we never tell."

4 comments:

  1. "I'm not necessarily going to get into a huge religious or political discussion with someone on the first or second date because I don't even know if I like them yet and what's the point of wasting all of that effort and time. Besides, why discuss inherently controversial things. "

    Interesting... I operate on the flip side of that statement... I talk to anyone and LOVE to just engage in a meaty conversation just to hear about their perspective. Lets talk sex, politics, religion... teach me something I dont know... tell me what you think and feel...

    I think that you learn a lot about a person while in the heat of an argument or discussion... Its not a waste of time from my prospective... but I havent been dating for many many years now! lol so perhaps it would be if I were! lol

    Have a great Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I talk to lots of people, but I don't think I would open up like that to anyone instantly. Then again, you may not open up on other things right away either. Maybe you would open up about your stance on current events or something, but maybe your personal life would emerge slower. Even if that isn't the case, there are only so many hours in any day. I still wouldn't know anything about you aside from your stance on current events after a conversation like that.

    (And I was only trying to use one example to support my point.)

    I understand where you are coming from, but I think your comment, to an extent, reenforces my statement. We are all different and interaction is going to be different for everyone. Chemistry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ah yes... and there are people that you talk to and no matter what the conversation there is no connection ( 2 different wave lengths) I have certainly been there.

    I think that I am usually drawn, ironically, to people who are not necessarily 'talkers'. Perhaps it is the challenge of getting them to open up to me... or that they are not open books so it is eminently more interesting... idk

    Interesting post... I have been talking a lot lately with new people as I have just moved... so it made me wonder what the happy medium is... am I engaging too much these days since I know no one? Sharing things I wouldnt necessarily share(I wonder that about my blog too to be honest)... being too forward?

    I just hate playing games... I am very face value, so I dont do the 'dance' very well. My emotions are always written on my face. I would suck at dating if I had to do it now.

    ReplyDelete

Google
WWW Search this site